Best ducks to breed for meat

23 hours ago, PeskyWabbits said:

Air Gun Ant

You will benefit their well being by adding water vessels. As big as you can so they can have a wash. I have a corner bath, two straight baths, a paddling pool and various containers.

The baths are suspended and drain into compost heaps.  I use a stick with a hook to fish out the plug and use a hose pipe to swill and refill.

Watching a duck in a bath is like watching a dog play on a beach. They show their joy. 

You will have to up your game with rat defences though. The pallets shown here have gone and I am careful about where the feed goes. I was using 'Celebrations' tubs, topped up with water and the feed is mixed corn. I try to use suspended feeders over water tubs now. Rats can jump and swim but not at the same time.

Pesky

Duck Run 2016.jpg

Just made myself a pond liner! Lol ? 

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

The problem with any waterfowl, mud, drinkers will fill up with it, buckets, ponds, boats !!! I always try and use things that will tip over or rinse out easy, my ducks in one pen (just 3 ducks) will half fill a bucket with mud in a day, that boat will soon be a boat full of mud mate, great idea,and very commendable wanting to do it for them, but it will be hard work for you.

try a few mats around it to keep it cleaner,or use a bath so you can pull the plug and rinse it out.

4 hours ago, air gun ant said:

That's my first attempt at a boat but I didn't order enough gelcoat or resin lol it's got 3 layers of glass but I don't think it's strong enough for a boat! But I reckon it could keep a few ducks happy ? lesson learned for the next one 

Ps, I do a bit of glass work on boats myself, what Matt did you use,it's all about the wieght of the layup.but3 layers will be pretty flimsy without some stiffeners in it.

i can't see the gel underneath the glass work.

Yes, you definitely need either a drain, or an easy method of tipping  - it gets heavy with water in it.

This is another shot of my Duck Tunnel. I have Indian Runners as well and these two had pulled out the plug.

I usually clean my baths weekly but it depends on the weather. It gets difficult in Winter, especially when it is frosty. I don't like to use the hose pipe then as it can crack.

Runner Ducks in the Bath 2017.jpg

2 hours ago, Rabid said:

Ps, I do a bit of glass work on boats myself, what Matt did you use,it's all about the wieght of the layup.but3 layers will be pretty flimsy without some stiffeners in it.

i can't see the gel underneath the glass work.

I ordered 1kg gelcoat but needed about 5! You will know there's about a 24hr window to put your glass on apparently after the gelcoat? I didn't lol but with the mold waxed I went for it anyway. 1 layer of e-glass and 2 layers of 600gm csm. I still have some resin and glass left but was thinking a pond this time and try the boat again when I order enough gelcoat! Lol I could put some stiffners in now and strengthen the transom but I'll see if I can get it out the mold first lol ?