Best ducks to breed for meat

On 03/11/2017 at 03:00, Aussie Whip said:

Thanks fellas, I think I'll go with the muscovies,been looking and are fairly easy to find here.Might get something diff when I get more experience.

To be fair pal, ducks are so easy, good hardy birds, just need food and water with some shelter of sorts, not sure about oz, but here they pretty much look after themselves.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, air gun ant said:

Sorry to jump on your thread Aussie whip, but do muscovies or alesburys actually need a pond? Or what can I get away with lol ? a pond is in the plans but not quite yet, can I have DUCKS or do they really need water? 

Most can make do with a kid's paddling pool or dog bath type container.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, air gun ant said:

Sorry to jump on your thread Aussie whip, but do muscovies or alesburys actually need a pond? Or what can I get away with lol ? a pond is in the plans but not quite yet, can I have DUCKS or do they really need water? 

I was thinking the same thing

No they don't NEED water, they like it,they love it I fact, but from chicks are equally happy without a pond if they don't know any better.

ducks ARE Messy though, drink, eat mud, Drink, eat mud and so forth, you will end up with boggy holes.

i have seen my ducks sitting in a bucket with water in, I use a cattle trough and they love getting in it.

• Like 1
On 11/12/2017 at 20:23, air gun ant said:

Air Gun Ant

You will benefit their well being by adding water vessels. As big as you can so they can have a wash. I have a corner bath, two straight baths, a paddling pool and various containers.

The baths are suspended and drain into compost heaps.  I use a stick with a hook to fish out the plug and use a hose pipe to swill and refill.

Watching a duck in a bath is like watching a dog play on a beach. They show their joy. 

You will have to up your game with rat defences though. The pallets shown here have gone and I am careful about where the feed goes. I was using 'Celebrations' tubs, topped up with water and the feed is mixed corn. I try to use suspended feeders over water tubs now. Rats can jump and swim but not at the same time.

Pesky

Duck Run 2016.jpg

• Like 1