Dirt fishing find

Few years ago I sat in a hospital waiting room listening to an old bloke ramble on to the nurses who didn't really have time for him. He was obviously not totally with it at the time but he said he used to be a fighter and said we should all Google him.....well I did and it turns out him was an old booth fighter and treasure hunter. Although my link doesn't tell you that much, if you research him he had a fantastic life.... including finding a lot of treasure with divining rods.

http://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/news/tributes-as-former-boxer-and-dowser-dies-1-7277483

• Like 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today's 22k wedding band think its 1920s maybe

A few bits ive found  

Bunch of coins. 1800. Wrapped in a checked hanky. Can still see the red check

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

Few years ago I sat in a hospital waiting room listening to an old bloke ramble on to the nurses who didn't really have time for him. He was obviously not totally with it at the time but he said he used to be a fighter and said we should all Google him.....well I did and it turns out him was an old booth fighter and treasure hunter. Although my link doesn't tell you that much, if you research him he had a fantastic life.... including finding a lot of treasure with divining rods.

http://www.chorley-guardian.co.uk/news/tributes-as-former-boxer-and-dowser-dies-1-7277483

He really lived a varied life never tried dowsing for any thing other than water pipes just happens I guess you know its there some where its a strange thing for sure not sure how it works :pardon:

Are you selling your detector and packing it in mate

19 minutes ago, Chaff said:

He really lived a varied life never tried dowsing for any thing other than water pipes just happens I guess you know its there some where its a strange thing for sure not sure how it works :pardon:

Are you selling your detector and packing it in mate

I think so yes. Might try divining!

I can keep the detector and it might get used in the future but if someone really wants it they can.....£350 and get a free spade.

That's a good price for a top detector mate

If you don't need the money may as well keep hold of it.

Its something that I blow hot and cold on but normally once or twice a year I do a bit.

Summer for fishing

Autumn early winter dirt fishing

Winter work the dog

7 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

The detecting threads on here have given me inspiration an just purchased a garrat ace 250 off eBay.

All my good finds were with the 250. Iv been on many rallies, some with hundred or so people with top detectors and the 250's always hold there own

• Like 1

Off to see me old mum tomorrow she lives on south coast right next to the beach so will have a couple of hours there.

Have had a few bits of jewelry down there and quite a bit of modern coin in the past.

3 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

The detecting threads on here have given me inspiration an just purchased a garrat ace 250 off eBay.

As a starter detector you cant go wrong, it is very intuitive to use and forgiving too, watch a lot of YouTube vids, go out and use it, come back and watch the vids again to learn where you may have missed out. After 4 or 5 outings you will get the feel for it and get better finds too. They say it takes around 50 hours to be good with any specific detector. But dont give up as it is a great machine the 250.

We have 2x ACE 250's, MineLabs CTX3030, Mine Labs X-Terra 550, Garrett Sea Hunter and an older Whites.

My 13yr old learned on a 250 and now uses the CTX, I started with the Sea Hunter as I dived but now I use the 250, the ACE 250's are a good machine for sure and some guys with more expensive detectors use their 250 as a great relics and coin machine.

Another that is hiding in the dark with good reviews is an ALDI, but it is one specific model. It has only been on sale here in Australia one time, but it has even found gold in the Victorian goldfields, many guys use it as a 'keep in the car' backup machine - at $99 guys are not too worried if it gets stolen.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2017 at 5:19 PM, Chaff said:

Its quite addictive when you get into it and have a few decent finds.

I have an old 1720 os map of my local area and have laid it over google maps then look for buildings that no longer exist, seems to be working for me.

Most finds seem to come from what I think are the garden areas.

Seems all you get is iron if your directly on top of building.

I laughed at my self today seemed like I had a moving target when kneeling down kept getting a good signal next to me I shuffled back still got the signal then it dawned on me that the detector was picking up the metal in my knee.:laugh:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/  there ya go mate ,,very addictive..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

byron, thanks for the link, I didnt know 'side by side maps'  existed, will try to find one for my part of the world and see what we can find.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a ring find in a Park, initially I though it was just junk but it was suggested to me that it may be an older ring, cottage made because of the style and inlay. I took it to a jeweler and it was suggested it may be a white gold ring and it was definitely older. It was found near the base of an old Gumtree about 8" deep, all this other rubbish was from the immediate surrounds and only a few inches deep.

It's a nice find and just cleaned but not polished, as I did not want to damage the inlay.

With ANY detector I use, I dig all targets, this ring came up as " ringpull /foil " on the Ace 250 detector scale so it was lucky I did dig it up, LOL my daughter would ignore it as junk.

IMG_0355.thumb.JPG.70f97a7c8126174b220487a030d1bae4.JPG

IMG_0356.thumb.JPG.7eeb46c2b25fe8641298ccaf5202d070.JPG

IMG_0357.thumb.JPG.d0673b150b98a71a28c3cda1a64926c3.JPG

IMG_0358.thumb.JPG.625a11160008427b71b2bcba55994c0d.JPG

IMG_0366.thumb.JPG.eea6c4dfe1f81560bab0de94b6f40a8e.JPG

• Like 2