Another One Cured ...

Had a look out this afternoon and after a little walk got up in one of the seats to wait for the evening activities..the wind blowing slightly north westerly I chose a seat in the bottom field with the wood behind me dropping down a steep bank ..It left me looking right up across the fields to a tiny shore right on the top of the bank about 800 mtr away ..twenty minutes in Ive had a few does walk right to left in front of me across my field and on to the next one that was reseeded last year ,this was obviously going to be the field of the night which suited me if everything took the same route ..glassing up all the fields a group of about ten does were walking down a sparse hedgeline again aiming for the field behind them was a sorrel not able to keep up due to a serious problem with a hind leg .

Decided I had to try and get to a point where I could possibly get a chance at him , I managed to get out of the seat and straight up the track to my right then turned left at the estate offices and on to a highish mound created when a pond was dug out a couple of years ago , we lay down and waited , I could see the group of does already down in the field had joined the first group along with two prickets that must have come out unseen ..the light just starting to go when the buck made an appearance I let him carry on until he was 70 yds to my right then after giving a whistle he stopped and looked at which point he dropped instantly to the 6.5 ..

His back leg was a mess the foot looked like a hook completely reversed .Not that old an injury by the look of his antlers it amazes me how they get by ..anyway hes not struggling anymore given hes in the chiller at a low weight of 69lb ..

post-81636-0-87590300-1509483575_thumb.jpegpost-81636-0-66374700-1509483603_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice going mate hes better out the road must of been in some pain

He was definitely struggling , the leg was pointing backwards with complete muscle wastage on the hock but he was still eating and getting about ..The estate owner came by as I was gralloching to tell me he’d seen an injured buck earlier this afternoon up by the house , he was pleased to see it sorted already ..