Chubbing With My Lad

Finally got a decent day on a river today with my lad... 3 pints of bronze maggots and a pint of caster, a couple of float rods and running a stick through a bit of the river Tone.

I hoped to fish the town section but a couple of lads had beaten us to the best swims... no worries though we headed to a bit they call the fast stretch and had a really enjoyable day.. Fin fished pretty well and caught a good few fish influding half a dozen Grayling (a first for him) he also had a few decent chub plus roach, dace and nuisance minnows and bleak..

I had much the same, we fished fir a while in one spot then had a rove about, ended up with a dozen or so chub from 6oz up to around 3lb...

post-50738-0-03050200-1509295947_thumb.jpg

post-50738-0-32814700-1509295977_thumb.png

post-50738-0-89137700-1509296006_thumb.png

post-50738-0-36105700-1509296046_thumb.png

post-50738-0-92837100-1509296074_thumb.png

post-50738-0-52491300-1509296121_thumb.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good Dad/son time Kev. :thumbs:

Strange question here. Are bronze maggots a known chub bait rather than any other colour? I can recall as a kid fishing for chub using bronze maggots (about 8 of them on a size 10 gold hook :laugh: ), but I don't remember if that was intentional or just what the tackle shop had in. We used to catch some decent stuff on them.

Always use bronze maggots with a handful of reds when river fishing mate, used to add tumeric to them to make them bronzer (if that's a word lol)... it's always been the done thing from pretty much everyone I know who fished rivers, and if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto lol...(red maggots for roach and bream on still waters).....

Edited by NEWKID
  • Like 4

A kid running a stick float is ace!!!!!

Makes a change from dragging in lipless carp from brown puddles!

Top class, well done Fin!

Therell be more learnt in half an hour there than on any puddle!

Matt

Totally agree mate, as you know I love my river fishing...

Fin got a bit pissed off with the minnows, I told him to keep the feed going in and the chub would come, he caught 2 by running his stick right under the tree on the far side, he fed the swim and fished it completely on his own so I was pretty pleased... he struggles a bit with keeping his concentration but I'm sure that will come, I'd never caught a grayling or decent chub at his age, was still on perch and little roach on the canal!! Lol

• Like 2

Nice one kev, I fished maggots for chub last Sunday, small little river, first time in a few seasons, managed a few tidy fish and had this clonker:thumbs:I want a 20lb plus pike from running water this season, can't seem to get past 17 lb 3 ozs:cray:atb dc

20171105_144609.jpg

• Like 1

That's a cracking fish Sean, nice one mate!!

good luck on that 20lb pike, I've been talking to a pike angler over the last few weeks when I walk the dogs along the canal, he's had a few fish so far, but had one 21lb last season off that stretch... the biggest I heard of last year off that bit was 27lb and caught by a woman...

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...