Mystery Solved ????? I Think

Yesterday i had two traps fired with nothing to show and todayi had a further two fired with nothing in, whwn i got too my fifth and last trap which was a fenn 6 the dog stopped and stared at the hole , now she has done this before with squirrels ,magpies and a partridge if it was a Rabbit or Ferret in a snare or trap she just lies down and looks away however this was a Pole cat that had been caught in a Fenn and was very lively [all the fired traps had been JUBY ] . I then spent the next hour trying to get her out this was very hard as she fought non stop but in the end i done it and she effed off non the worse and very ungrateful

When i got to this place this morning i nearly drove into a full lorry load of rubbish that had been dumped there in the night ,i had to leave the motor there and walk over a mile and half to get to my traps , as a rule i do not care what anyone else does in life but i would make an exception for these b*****ds ,

The pictures show

fired trap

pole cat

rubbish

a couple of sets .

The fields around here are covered in blue legs but i have a fridge full and sold my limit i will try to sell more next week but i think the market is finished for the season .

post-4256-0-75978400-1509010198_thumb.jpg

post-4256-0-95447500-1509010267_thumb.jpg

post-4256-0-92303000-1509010381_thumb.jpg

post-4256-0-35786200-1509010459_thumb.jpg

post-4256-0-85083100-1509010536_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Jesus micky, that's one big polecat! Must have been a tough job releasing that lad.

It is not so big Eddie, it is a Bitch and i have trapped ferrets twice that size , i think she fired the other traps, the plates on a Juby have a long way to go before the springs are engaged and that split second is all it would have took for her to stop.

post-4256-0-73330900-1509012601_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Don't know a massive amount about spring traps. How come it didn't kill the polecat , also how did you release it without getting bit?

It did not kill the Polecat because the Fenn trap has several design faults,though it has plenty of power it is delivered over too greater an area , over the years i have caught a fair amount of ferrets in them and they are never dead perhaps because they are caught at the base of the jaws, on rabbits the only way you will get a clean kill is if the jaws hit the animal straight across the shoulders and ribcage you will see this when you skin them because they have deep bruising mainly to one side along the shoulder and rib cage if this bruising is not there it would have been afoul catch and the animal would have had a slow death .

I tried a few things but i needed an extra hand in the end took out my boot laces looped it through one jaw and tied the other end to a root , done same on the other jaw and pulled.

• Like 1

Don't know a massive amount about spring traps. How come it didn't kill the polecat , also how did you release it without getting bit?

It did not kill the Polecat because the Fenn trap has several design faults,though it has plenty of power it is delivered over too greater an area , over the years i have caught a fair amount of ferrets in them and they are never dead perhaps because they are caught at the base of the jaws, on rabbits the only way you will get a clean kill is if the jaws hit the animal straight across the shoulders and ribcage you will see this when you skin them because they have deep bruising mainly to one side along the shoulder and rib cage if this bruising is not there it would have been afoul catch and the animal would have had a slow death .

I tried a few things but i needed an extra hand in the end took out my boot laces looped it through one jaw and tied the other end to a root , done same on the other jaw and pulled.

Interesting . Is there any lasting injuries to the ferrets?

I stopped using them for rabbits when I was catching them round the neck but they were still alive....they may not of been genuine fenns thought....can't remember was 20 years ago

A lot of rabbits get struck on the head by Fenn Jaws , this does them no harm ,but when the rabbit struggles the trap tilts and works its way down to the head to around the neck

The lowest Ferret in the picture was caught in a Fenn 6 my Wife was with me and we got her out very quickly, we put her in a cage and even though she had a slight limp she would allow my Grandchildren to handle her, i think i worked her the next day and i found that she fit with my method of ferriting and i kept her for a lot o years , others that i have caught would have survived but got knocked on the head. My eldest lad had one once ,he let it latch on to a rabbit and just opened the trap he had that one for a long time

post-4256-0-02268200-1509119791_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Jesus micky, that's one big polecat! Must have been a tough job releasing that lad.

It is not so big Eddie, it is a Bitch and i have trapped ferrets twice that size , i think she fired the other traps, the plates on a Juby have a long way to go before the springs are engaged and that split second is all it would have took for her to stop.

Well, catching a 'true' native wild polecat, would have really bothered me, personally.......but what can you do, you cant avoid it completely, when conducting this type of trapping ?? :huh:

Well, catching a 'true' native wild polecat, would have really bothered me, personally.......but what can you do, you cant avoid it completely, when conducting this type of trapping ?? :huh:

There is nothing you can do about it but some times you get a clue, you will see rabbits sitting out and to me for some reason they look or act nervous then the next day a Ferret or Stoat turns up in a trap, i have had some whoppers over the years but the ferret in the picture was huge the two doe Rabbits were wellin kittle and the ferret was bigger.

post-4256-0-38797300-1509205715_thumb.jpg

• Like 3