Never Underestimate.....

Just spent a few minutes studiyng the picture thinking "what's that he's got coming off the eye piece of his scope'

That's my spotting lamp. It's hanging off a shoulder strap. I just drop it when range etc.

This image shows it better.

o5iee6o9.jpg

Just spent a few minutes studiyng the picture thinking "what's that he's got coming off the eye piece of his scope'

That's my spotting lamp. It's hanging off a shoulder strap. I just drop it when range etc.

This image shows it better.

o5iee6o9.jpg

Worked it out in the end lol.

The farm where I shot the vixen is at the end of a lane, which is often used to "rehome" urban foxes by do-gooders. The lady owner used to feed one that came to her door each day, until it maimed one of her ducks. I now have instructions to shoot all foxes on sight. Up to 40 yards with subs in the Magtech, 50 with yellow jackets and 80 with the CZ452 HMR to avoid runners.

The farm where I shot the vixen is at the end of a lane, which is often used to "rehome" urban foxes by do-gooders. The lady owner used to feed one that came to her door each day, until it maimed one of her ducks. I now have instructions to shoot all foxes on sight. Up to 40 yards with subs in the Magtech, 50 with yellow jackets and 80 with the CZ452 HMR to avoid runners.

Yellow jackets! Not used them since the nineties! :-)

Yellow jackets! Not used them since the nineties! :-)

Funnily enough I guess I haven't either, but as a HV round (I think they were about 1500ft sec and 33g) I did find them pretty good in my CZ.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

I bought Yellow Jackets when I first got the Magtech over ten years ago. Magtech subs were taking rabbits out to 60 yards on an infested farm and the Remingtons gave me another 20 yards on the same zero. They were deadly for chest shots to about 90 yards. Having decimated the rabbit population, I then bought my CZ HMR, which made the Magtech redundant on that farm. I carry three ten shot Magtech magazines, one colour marked to indicate the yellow jackets, which have taken a few foxes on another farm and although noisy, still take the occasional rabbit.

I was waiting for rabbits with the RWS subs, when the vixen in the pic stepped out.

If you're looking for a .22LR with a bit more zip it's worth trying the RWS HV HP. The data says they do about 142ftlb at the muzzle.

I've found them to be the most accurate HV round out there.

197.jpg

They are very good yes. I have used them in the past.

How far can one shoot it accurately, One Hundred and Fifty, Two Hundred Yards or so? Then it will have plenty of stopping power. As far as I know the limitations with a .22LR is the finger on the trigger at realistic distances. Plenty of powerful rounds to be had for one, and not limited with home load ether.

Well done Underdog

All the very best

The police licensing guidance says short range and only then in the hands of a skilled marksman.

Personally, I wouldn't go much over about 60-70yds. It's not about being able to hit the target so much as being about being able to kill outright, humanely and consistently. Search Youtube and there are wild boar killed with .22LR at very close range. Equally there are people hitting paper targets at 400yds+. Just because you can do it, (well some of the time anyway), doesn't mean you should.

.22LR doesn't retain a lot of velocity downrange and this combined with the low energy doesn't make it great for fox sized targets at range. It's reckoned to take around 50ftlbs of energy to kill a fox cleanly, and although .22lr subs have this beyond 100yds, the velocity is only around 1,000fps at the muzzle and it will have lost at around 200-300fps before 100yds. Compare that to even a small cf and it's minicsule.

150-200yds against fox is centrefire territory, and arguably this starts below 100yds so far as .22LR is concerned if being humane.

No reason not to use subs against bunnies at more range though, although hitting them at range with subs, will take some good shooting.

How far can one shoot it accurately, One Hundred and Fifty, Two Hundred Yards or so? Then it will have plenty of stopping power. As far as I know the limitations with a .22LR is the finger on the trigger at realistic distances. Plenty of powerful rounds to be had for one, and not limited with home load ether.

Well done Underdog

All the very best

The police licensing guidance says short range and only then in the hands of a skilled marksman.

Personally, I wouldn't go much over about 60-70yds. It's not about being able to hit the target so much as being about being able to kill outright, humanely and consistently. Search Youtube and there are wild boar killed with .22LR at very close range. Equally there are people hitting paper targets at 400yds+. Just because you can do it, (well some of the time anyway), doesn't mean you should.

.22LR doesn't retain a lot of velocity downrange and this combined with the low energy doesn't make it great for fox sized targets at range. It's reckoned to take around 50ftlbs of energy to kill a fox cleanly, and although .22lr subs have this beyond 100yds, the velocity is only around 1,000fps at the muzzle and it will have lost at around 200-300fps before 100yds. Compare that to even a small cf and it's minicsule.

150-200yds against fox is centrefire territory, and arguably this starts below 100yds so far as .22LR is concerned if being humane.

No reason not to use subs against bunnies at more range though, although hitting them at range with subs, will take some good shooting.

That is the point , if able to do the job in the hands of capable shooters then how far can one shoot? 22 is more than capable. That applies to every Rifle calibre. One would hope that with every shot the kill is quick and clean, but a real world exists and in that world it says that is impossible. A tumbling bullet does a lot of damage, 22 is one of those as far as my understanding that is.

All the very best

Edited by just-A-snap