Best Cattie For A Beginner

Hi there lads I was just wondering what would be the best cattie for me to buy? I've never shot one before so I'd like to keep my fingers lol. Just want it for shooting squirrels, rabbit etc when I'm out and about mooching with my mutts. Any information will be appreciated. Cheers atb Adam

The Scout by Simple Shot (although Proshot sell an aluminium version) or the Proshot bloodshot catty is another one I've seen recommended to beginners on here before. If not then make your own...nothing like shooting a catty you've made yourself. Just make sure you're a half decent shot before you start trying to take small game with it, a wounded animal running away before you can dispatch it sucks as i'm sure you'd agree...practice practice practice! :)

Edited by daveee88
  • Like 1

Hi there lads I was just wondering what would be the best cattie for me to buy? I've never shot one before so I'd like to keep my fingers lol. Just want it for shooting squirrels, rabbit etc when I'm out and about mooching with my mutts. Any information will be appreciated. Cheers atb Adam

the two that Dave mentions are two of the best for a beginner though the new wasp catty,s are rapidly moving the goal posts, sadly finger and knuckle hits are a forgone conclusion if you have never fired one before, you can either wear a glove until your confident or get a starship/ forward fork style catty so your hand is well back out the way

I would think the blackwidow style with a wrist brace is good to start shooting with . I made my own as a kid for years with square rubber then got a black widow when they came out in 1970 s loved it . I have gone back to basic fork with flat bands more accurate I think , but the black widow (or similar ) is powerful and safe for hands , cheap and easy to find .

I would think the blackwidow style with a wrist brace is good to start shooting with . I made my own as a kid for years with square rubber then got a black widow when they came out in 1970 s loved it . I have gone back to basic fork with flat bands more accurate I think , but the black widow (or similar ) is powerful and safe for hands , cheap and easy to find .

out of interest could you ever hit anything with any kind of consistency with a black widow as i,mI fecked if I could, yet if I take the tubes off and put flat bands on one I can hit the target constantly, the only thing I can put this down to is the fact it takes so much effort to pull the tubes back that you can't aim up properly before you release the ammo,? I strongly believe that a good catty shooter can shoot most catty,s accurately which I can, but never with a Diablo or black widow strange but true
On 31/10/2017 at 5:28 PM, Greyman said:
On 29/10/2017 at 9:16 PM, barrywhite said:

out of interest could you ever hit anything with any kind of consistency with a black widow as i,mI fecked if I could, yet if I take the tubes off and put flat bands on one I can hit the target constantly, the only thing I can put this down to is the fact it takes so much effort to pull the tubes back that you can't aim up properly before you release the ammo,? I strongly believe that a good catty shooter can shoot most catty,s accurately which I can, but never with a Diablo or black widow strange but true

accuracy problems must come from , with the standard blackwidow the large pouch and no center hole to locate ammo . also the heavy bands as they contract they must push the ammo a little of course . also the black widow has a nice strong grip when you draw the catapult but I feel you may vary your hold a little with each shot . I have just put a set of bands on my 1970s black widow made of rolyan green tubing and a pouch size 20mm x 80mm . I will have to wait for the spit I used to get the bands on to dry they just went on . the leather for the pouch is a little thick but I will let you know how it goes . ... that is a funny thing, the ammo they sell with the black widow is way to light but for lobbing heavy ammo a black widow is ok ....... also just thinking when you release the ammo when shooting a black widow with all that fork tip sticking up you could pull the fork tips a bit different each time you shoot ..... also also just noticed holding the black widow with the wrist brace the fork tips are not square to bands when you draw the catapult this has to be the main problem , some bending would be needed to fix this problem . I dont think I will try this .

Edited by barrywhite

ok i have been shooting my black widow with green rolyan tube and a 20mm x 80mm pouch . not that bad . if the black widow  had the roylan orange tube ( if it can be fitted) with a better 20mm x 80mm pouch ( the pouch at present is thick leather and the center hole is not that centeral ) . shooting 9.5 mm ball bearings with the green tube is a bit heavy draw , orange tube would be better .  orange tube with a quality pouch shooting 9.5 mm bb s on a black widow is something i will try one day , if i get some orange tube . i would think it will make a good catapult .

I use alot of the time black widow tubes and 16mm lead or pebbles cant knock it. Seen over 50 dropped on the lanes with pebbles n squares or widow tubes. Theraband and all that is good stuff but doesnt last and i can buy the other elastic out a local shop so plemty spare on a good night.

As for catties its whatever you can pick up and shoot well ive owned some that cost upwards of £50 but one ive had the most success with will cost you a fiver and ten minutes pf your time to make. 

Edited by C.green

nightmare getting into shooting my black widow again . I used to stick something big ammo wize in my black widow and shoot instinctively with standard bands . my black widows then got turn into sling bow experiments but never thought to put lighter bands on the black widow . Aiming with lighter bands is very good ....As above theraband can wear out quickly but if the bands are made well and the catapult is smooth with NO sharp or ruff edges and you only shoot  ball bearings they can last a long time .. but i have had a rething about black widows , they would have to be a good first catapult for sure and maybe all you need with a bit of experimenting . If one was to put a hole in the center of the pouch on a set of standard bands to line up the ammo that would help . I may have done this at some time but will have just shot heavy ammo or marbles or rocks .

post-102539-0-61300200-1502625188_thumb.jpgsorry I can't add any pictures I have not used before???? But this is all i do with the black widows this is just 15mm tbg for messing around in the garden but it's as accurate as anything and with wider bands I'm sure it would work fine for hunting,  more accurate than with Barnet tubes by a mile 

15 hours ago, Greyman said:

post-102539-0-61300200-1502625188_thumb.jpgsorry I can't add any pictures I have not used before???? But this is all i do with the black widows this is just 15mm tbg for messing around in the garden but it's as accurate as anything and with wider bands I'm sure it would work fine for hunting,  more accurate than with Barnet tubes by a mile 

I have tryed this with heavy heavy flat bands trying to shoot heavy lead 12mm + and  bbs 14mm+ trying to get a lot of power . Getting the ammo to move 230 ft per second + but no accuracy I dont think the heavy draw was the problem I feel the bands get choked up in the forks and the ammo gets moved of target . I will have to try lighter flat bands at some point .

• 1 month later...

try and get one that can be shot in both gangsta and upright stances.

i cant shoot gangsta to save my life but i am halfway decent shooting upright.

as long as you find a decent catty and practice a lot with it mate, the accuracy thing will come to you eventually.

to simulate hunting before you are ready to take game.

shoot all the rubbish you come across on your mooches, cans, crisp packets, that kind o thing.

atb