Barbour Stinks Any Tips ?

Guest vin

Hello all.

Heres a good one.

I've had Barbour coats for over 40 years. . . I do love em !

I have a couple in the shed now and the other day I got to thinking. How the feck do you get rid of the smell of death on them ?

Mine smells like a cross between arse crack, belly button scum and an engine with a blown head gasket ! ! ! Plus the usual smell of dead critters.

I can hose the outside down and clean it, then re-wax it so it looks pretty new... But I still stink like an old Rotting Hippy !

Anyone got any top tips for making them smell slightly more normal? I accept the usual smell of wax..but the rest of it is offensive to the eyes, never mind the nose !

atvb

Vin

Hang it up out side and leave for a few weeks, that's what I would do.

tried that.... nothing

Try Febreeze?

Cheers, D.

tried that 2 times and still nothing.

I even washed the cotton lining with a bit of soapy water and rinsed it off and dried etc etc... still no better. :icon_redface:

If it smells that bad,get as much old wax off as poseible an hand to laundrette, then try an rewax it, wats worst that can happen, ye ruin a smelly jacket???

my mate washed his in machine and it ruined it. . ?

Ah, the neglected waxed-jacket hint of stale vomit thing. Sometimes just keeping them somewhere warm for a while improves things.

Try upholstery or carpet cleaner on the lining.Bin bag and a half a tub of Shake and Vac overnight. Repeat with the other half of the tub.

Edited by comanche

Its the lining Vin. Either hand wash the inside using a decent detergent or send it off to one of those Barbour repair gaffs and have it cleaned or relined. Whatever you do dont wash/damage the outside. Years of re-proofing are priceless in these jackets.

Once done shower before every use and it should be right for years. ;)