Any Beginner Bird Suggestions?

hedge wanderer

Hi. Was wondering if any of yous have any suggestions for beginner birds. I have land in which to hunt with short wings but find the idea of flying a medium sized long wing to a lure just as appealing. But before someone states the obvious, no Harris hawk talk, I find them rather dull, not just to look at but in terms of their training. I don't see them teaching people anything in which to take over into the training of a harder species such as a Gos or some sort of larger long wing. Any suggestions??

My suggestion is find somebody who flys the bird you decide on. There's no reason why you can't start with a gos or a long wing if you have the right guidance.

If you don't want a Harris then don't get one, however I disagree that you won't learn from flying a Harris. If you manage to successfully fly a Harris throughout a whole season, making kills on nearly very hunt, then you have definitely learnt proper weight control & handling. Training a Harris is dead easy, but so is training a gos, it's the entering, consistency with handling & good field craft that makes the hawk.

A Redtail is another option you could look at.

Atb

• Like 2

Thank you for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I have been out once or twice in the past with a Harris hawk, just hunting over ferrets. From what I've heard gos's need a fair bit of time spent on them hunting wise in comparison to a Harris or they to loopy and become a screamer. Is this so??

Thank you for the info. I'll keep that in mind. I have been out once or twice in the past with a Harris hawk, just hunting over ferrets. From what I've heard gos's need a fair bit of time spent on them hunting wise in comparison to a Harris or they to loopy and become a screamer. Is this so??

Ideally you want plenty of time. The more the better. I have flown a parent reared gos while working 5 days a week & I must say it went very well, but it's not recommended, though I was exercise training that bird very hard 4 nights a week & the occasional lamping session. The same go's for a Harris really, though behaviour can be more forgiving.

I obviously wouldn't of tried the same with an imprint. I know absolutely nothing about long wings though! Haha..., but I guess the same would apply.

Time, land & quarry should be your first considerations before you decided on your bird ;-)

Join a club and get out with a few different people and see different bird species fly.

Get yourself a "good" mentor. It will make life a lot easier on you AND the bird and don't be in a rush to get a bird, take your time and only get one when you are ready for one.

Read lots of books.

You will need quite a lot of equipment ranging from a decent mews - not just a shed, as well as telemetry, gloves, swivel, perches, leather to make jesses, anklets etc.

Match the right bird to the land you have access to as well as the quarry you have to fly.

Thanks for that. I have previous knowledge and know a handful of people I could easily ring if any questions need answering. TBH I don't think I'd want to freeloft the majority of birds used but that's just my opinion. Equipment wise I already have an idea of exactly what I'd need as I make the occasional set of jesses, leashes, lures, perches etc club wise I don't believe there is a local one. Thanks for the info tho

ATB

Came on asking about any beginer bird suggestions then play down all advice and close woth 'handful of people i could easily ring if any questions' f****n ring em then u plant pot?!?! People like you make it hard for people like me....who want to learn and dont have 'a handful' to call.

I am genuinly interested and trying to learn and read before i consider anything. I have been in touch with a local club and looking to go to their next meeting and learn. I cant believe there isnt a club or someone near you who would take you out. Probs a good place to try would be a 100% falconry forum rather than a back room on a hunting and talking general bollox n bullshit forum.

• Haha 1

What good would ringing them do in answering this specific question. They only fly Harris hawks for the most part. I'd ring them for questions such as tips on lowering the weight at a more suitable and desirable rate. I don't see how this is making it harder for people like you. It seems the only one making it difficult for yourself is you unfortunately

ATB

And how does this mean u want to learn but I don't? I can't really see the point in your post but thanks for the info at the end. As far as I'm aware there is no clubs in the north east. The question was more on other suitable beginners birds in which to hunt on land I've got not exactly MY first bird

Edited by hedge wanderer
  • Like 1

What good would ringing them do in answering this specific question. They only fly Harris hawks for the most part. I'd ring them for questions such as tips on lowering the weight at a more suitable and desirable rate. I don't see how this is making it harder for people like you. It seems the only one making it difficult for yourself is you unfortunately

ATB

What good would ringing them do??? Quote: 'Thanks for that. I have previous knowledge and know a handful of people I could easily ring if any questions need answering.' Does this not fall into the "any question" category?

IMO I am doing the right thing contacting local clubs and looking to join and learn. No one is holding me back, least of all me. If you dont have a club near you and are genuinly trying to learn I can only sympathise. Had a few bevis mate so I might be being the c**t i dont think I am? Sorry if I am love. Not here to make enemies or friends.

I have been in touch with a club secretary tonight and he didnt agree with harris hawks being a good beginers bird, just said they were bidable. No different to a lab being the same in the dog world, doesnt mean a lab will be ur first or best gun dog. He said there is no such thing as a 'beginer bird' only an owner who is prepared. He rates his harris as the top hunting hawk he has, not a beginer bird and he has multiple birds.

Them's the like u need to talk to.

• Like 2

TBH that's not too far, could probably get bus there. What I meant by not asking a local falconer I know in relation to the question of beginners birds is that it's going to be a biased answer which today is normally "get a Harris, they're 'easy' ( which is what puts me off, it makes the whole idea of being a falconer seem easy)". By asking on here you get a wider range of responses. By questions I'd need to ring up for, I mean once I've got said bird, I.e do u think I'm on the right path?, do you think their weight needs dropping a bit more?, where are the best areas to get a regular supply of good food?, them sort of things