Long Netting Hairs

Johnny Kingdom did a piece on long netting hares and relocating them onto a patch of land on his TV series a few years ago. I'd say legal, but not at all certain.

Was it on "my land......" Haha....

• Like 2

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Could be tricky if they're pubic

For guys that were out of work, or resting, good clean Hares were always worth a few quid,..so you had to take them, anyway that you could There was a vast difference in sport and profit hunting..

Done loads of it and it was never a case of setting your net and reaping the rewards. There's a lot of field craft involved, even if you had an army.

Id prefer to give and quarry a decent sporting chance personally. Longnetting a poor Hare sounds a bit like shooting fish in a barrel to me if Im honest!

Taking a hare with a net is harder than you think ..I'd say a hare has more chance of escape from gate netting/long netting than it does with a lurcher and a lamp

Id prefer to give and quarry a decent sporting chance personally. Longnetting a poor Hare sounds a bit like shooting fish in a barrel to me if Im honest!

Taking a hare with a net is harder than you think ..I'd say a hare has more chance of escape from gate netting/long netting than it does with a lurcher and a lamp

Fair enough.

I would rather eat a clump of hairs than sink my teeth into a real Hare.

Cannot beat a slow cooked hare casserole or a pie, as good or better than roe venison to me
I have only eaten Hare once (basically the first one that my whippet retrieved one day). It was possibly the worse tasting meat that Ive ever had. I usually cook it and feed it to my dogs, put some veg with it and it makes 4 very big meals so lasts me 2 days with my 2 dogs
  • Like 1

It's not too bad cooked in red wine and bit chicken stock with vegetables in a slow cooker.

It's also nice if you " cut the saddles off cut them in to small cubes dip them in milk then flour mixed with salt pepper and chilli flakes/ chilli powder then flash fry them use older squwer to did them in a sweet and sour sauce..

Or put it in a slow cooker with some water and boil it , add either chicken stock cubes or beef stock whichever you like once the meet is falling off the bone strip the meat off and then fry it in a frying pan high heat but quick just to brown it off use it in a stir fry with mushrooms spring opinion green beens

Cannot beat a slow cooked hare casserole or a pie, as good or better than roe venison to me
I have only eaten Hare once (basically the first one that my whippet retrieved one day). It was possibly the worse tasting meat that Ive ever had. I usually cook it and feed it to my dogs, put some veg with it and it makes 4 very big meals so lasts me 2 days with my 2 dogs
Try putting the meat in a bowl of cold water with some salt for a few hours or overnight this takes the strong gamey flavour away

Try putting the meat in a bowl of cold water with some salt for a few hours or overnight this takes the strong gamey flavour away

Drifter mate, the strong gamey flavour is surely the best thing about it. That's why you can whack in wine, port or guinness when you "jug" it. That's what I reckon anyway and I've eaten quite a few hares in my time. It's one of my favourites along with venison hung in a cold place for at least a week.

Farmed meat is for pussies. :laugh:

Edited by Maximus Ferret
  • Like 2

i do that anyway any rabbit /hare always soak in big pot of salt water with vinegar , it takes out the bruising , as well as the game taste. But still dont like hare my wife done everything with them , jug, stew, sauce , prob a stew the best only because your camouflaging the taste of the hare. but if do have hare i norm just have the saddle , the rest the dogs have , the best tasting game meat, is fallow, rabbit, and love partridge . :thumbs:

• Like 3

Drifter mate, the strong gamey flavour is surely the best thing about it. That's why you can whack in wine, port or guinness when you "jug" it. That's what I reckon anyway and I've eaten quite a few hares in my time. It's one of my favourites along with venison hung in a cold place for at least a week.

Heard hare meat described as an acquired taste, remember one of the well known chefs mentioning something like roast baron of hare with a chocolate sauce being an unbeatable dish

Heard hare meat described as an acquired taste, remember one of the well known chefs mentioning something like roast baron of hare with a chocolate sauce being an unbeatable dish

Sounds un eatable to me. I can't imagine chocolate in a meat dish but I'd probably give it a go if it was there. I'd try most things at least once.

Sounds un eatable to me. I can't imagine chocolate in a meat dish but I'd probably give it a go if it was there. I'd try most things at least once.
Don't think he was using nestle or cadburys lol, probably that 90% cocoa solids stuff