Ferrets Sh!tting Everywhere

Hi guys,

My ferrets have all of a sudden started to sh!t all over their cage (pretty much in every corner on the two levels).

They always used to sh!t in one corner until last week when I was ill and my wife had to look after them. She just fed them.. Didnt let them into the run and didnt clean them out.

I think that this is why they have shit everywhere (either out of boredom, frustration, or even a dirty protest). Does this sound logical and has anyone had any experience of this and how can I get them back to sh!tting in the one place again?

Thanks

BBB

Edited by Blueboybilly

Some young ones I got this year do the same...Its a nuisance and they run through it and its stuck their fur, they look like there not looked after at all, and Im cleaning the buggers all the time. The older ones in a different court just use one corner, nice and clean

Try scrub down with hot water, allow to dry then I put a squirt of Ferretone its a thin oil for ferrets in that area or a little chopped up chicken, meat or some thing tasty etc. Then they usually stop crapping where they have been feeding or licking up the oil. You might have to repeat the process if they start again but usually twig after a few times.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry

Do you guys not use sand toilet boxes ? I have several placed in each cage ,normally they are either old oil or dench containers cut in half ,these when filled with dry sand catch all the piss and shit and only require cleaning and the sand replaced every few days ,once the boxes get dirty & wet the ferrets will go else where to toilet.Its their piss that stinks like hell that also brings the flys around .

Edited by toolebox

I use a tray in the furthest end from the bed and they use that. Well not actually the tray just the furthest corner where i happen to have a tray. The old jill went through a phase of going every where but since going in the new hutch she is back on track

36503728800_ac2f6ff161_c.jpg