Ferreting Dog

Think long and hard about it mate a whippet or a whippet cross will take a rabbit on a burrow . But the dogs going to live 10 plus years and your lads 13 he gets a taste for dog work and wants to try lamping later on maybe a bigger dog type would suit ?.

Agree with this!!

If you like Bedlington types then I would suggest a Beddlingtin Greyhound. Northernlight knows a lot about this cross and can usually help you obtaining a pup!

BBB

So are you both saying a whippet is no good for lamping.

No not at all. I have a pure whippet myself and I really rate him (day and night on rabbits and daytime long ears).

The reason I said Beddy Grey is in case he wanted the dog to retrieve anything a bit bigger than rabbits and long ears

Just get a bull x and be done with it.

I use mine for ferreting he marks 100%.

Went out last Sunday ferreting every burry he marked there was rabbits at home.

I've tested his nose enough times by dropping a ferret I to a burry he hasn't marked.and there's been no rabbits in.

Best ever Xmas Present in my entire existence.. 1981 Xmas Day morning my Mum and Dad put a jack russel pup on my bed to wake me up. . . . . Way back when jack russels were propper dogs and not all this parsons and plumber bullshit and various outcasts of a great little breed.

Edited by vin

Best ever Xmas Present in my entire existence.. 1981 Xmas Day morning my Mum and Dad put a jack russel pup on my bed to wake me up. . . . . Way back when jack russels were propper dogs and not all this parsons and plumber bullshit and various outcasts of a great little breed.

As I type this my lad is lay on his bed an his mate in the camp bed an he got his pup up beside him while they play fifa haha

Nowt wrong with a games console as long as it is in moderation Pal

Love jack Russell's by far my favourite breed of dog loyal great workers and brilliant characters

• Like 2

Beddy whippets drop as much hair as any other dog, if not more. They have an under coat and top coat so they shed double, so besides the normal long hair that falls out of them you'll also be sweeping up lint when they start shedding. Great wee dogs, will go into cover and escape most knocks from barbed wire fences without getting ripped and will catch bolters. Will also put in a full nights lamping. Downside to some of them is they can be too keen which makes them stubborn and prone to hunting up. They pick up scent and you no longer exist to them. I wouldnt do without her now but mine was a absolute fukcer to train.

• Like 2

A whippet will do everything a ferreting man, woman will want out of a dog, I have one hear that works with ferrets, long net, gate net, takes bolters and lamps OK, I say OK as he ain't used on lamp much due to Im a ferreting man but he'll take squatters, and comes back like a yo yo, he's taken hare, Fox, and a munty doe all legal as not in UK. Whippets are great rat dogs better than some terriers in fackt. My lad picks up shot game and as been on beating line. The only thing a whippet x bedy etc gives is a better coat and skin, a whippet shouldn't need more guts as this breed is as game as any if not more game. They will give there best and that's alls we can ask for in our dogs and a whippet in the house is a joy, Im looking for a bitch now, I'd never be with out a whippet now, for a kc breed it's doing OK, asnt been ruined by money men, like bedlington, Irish, sealyham and you no what your getting unlike when you go look at a lurcher litter wich could have anything in its breeding as to many folk saying pups are this or that just for money, at least you know what your getting with a whippet, so to me a whippet can do everything a small lurcher can and more, if I was looking for a lurcher it'd be greyhound bedlington whippet, get a whippet, atb j

• Like 1

Hi lads,

It's been a while since I was on here, but enjoying reading some of the new posts ?

I've had my 13 year old son out ferreting a couple of times and he's really enjoying it but is asking for a dog. I was thinking down the lines of a bedlington terrier or a beddy cross?

Nothing too big as it will be in the home and also a family pet.

As long as the dog can mark a set and quick enough to catch a rabbit

Looking at a puppy, preferably a xmas box for him.

Personally we like the pure bedlington terrier (liver coloured)

So if you know of anyone who has a bitch in pup or thinking of breeding one?

I look forward to reading your replies?

I also posted in the terrier section

ATB

Nick.

iv pm you