Ferreting Dog

Hi lads,

It's been a while since I was on here, but enjoying reading some of the new posts ?

I've had my 13 year old son out ferreting a couple of times and he's really enjoying it but is asking for a dog. I was thinking down the lines of a bedlington terrier or a beddy cross?

Nothing too big as it will be in the home and also a family pet.

As long as the dog can mark a set and quick enough to catch a rabbit

Looking at a puppy, preferably a xmas box for him.

Personally we like the pure bedlington terrier (liver coloured)

So if you know of anyone who has a bitch in pup or thinking of breeding one?

I look forward to reading your replies?

I also posted in the terrier section

ATB

Nick.

Think long and hard about it mate a whippet or a whippet cross will take a rabbit on a burrow . But the dogs going to live 10 plus years and your lads 13 he gets a taste for dog work and wants to try lamping later on maybe a bigger dog type would suit ?.

Think long and hard about it mate a whippet or a whippet cross will take a rabbit on a burrow . But the dogs going to live 10 plus years and your lads 13 he gets a taste for dog work and wants to try lamping later on maybe a bigger dog type would suit ?.

Agree with this!!

If you like Bedlington types then I would suggest a Beddlingtin Greyhound. Northernlight knows a lot about this cross and can usually help you obtaining a pup!

BBB

• Like 1

The last thing I would be doing is buying him a dog just because he's been Afew times and has asked for one, see if he's still as keen after Afew seasons first

Its dad that wants the dog the lads only a excuse :laugh::laugh:

• Like 6

Agree with this!!

If you like Bedlington types then I would suggest a Beddlingtin Greyhound. Northernlight knows a lot about this cross and can usually help you obtaining a pup!

BBB

So are you both saying a whippet is no good for lamping.

Hi lads,

It's been a while since I was on here, but enjoying reading some of the new posts

I've had my 13 year old son out ferreting a couple of times and he's really enjoying it but is asking for a dog. I was thinking down the lines of a bedlington terrier or a beddy cross?

I look forward to reading your replies

ATB

Nick.

if your after a nice little dog personally i would go for a whippet over a beddy/whippet for the lads first dog, as beddy can be bloody head strong and may be a little hard work for the first time round. imo a whippet would be just that little easier to live with training wise. a good marking dog is worth its weight in gold to a ferreter. whippets are far underated and can stand more than you think work wise.

if the boy decides to try his hand at lamping in the near future then he can have plenty of fun with the odd hour out here and there with a whippet also. one of the best runs i ever seen was a 17 and 19 inch whippet on a hare the one night. they beat him in the end but its one of those runs that will most probably stop in my mind for ever.

• Like 3

Hi lads,

It's been a while since I was on here, but enjoying reading some of the new posts

I look forward to reading your replies

ATB

Nick.

if your after a nice little dog personally i would go for a whippet over a beddy/whippet for the lads first dog, as beddy can be bloody head strong and may be a little hard work for the first time round. imo a whippet would be just that little easier to live with training wise. a good marking dog is worth its weight in gold to a ferreter. whippets are far underated and can stand more than you think work wise.

if the boy decides to try his hand at lamping in the near future then he can have plenty of fun with the odd hour out here and there with a whippet also. one of the best runs i ever seen was a 17 and 19 inch whippet on a hare the one night. they beat him in the end but its one of those runs that will most probably stop in my mind for ever.

Seen 2 young whippets run in the day last season for more than one run on the big land one 17'' and one 19'' it would be boring to watch them run the same on the lamp and a sin they was that good.

Forgot to say I agree with ever thing Trigger said apart from the odd hour bit, some will run all night.

true some will run all night Trev. but as the lad is only 13 i cant imagine him doing big shifts lamping for a few year yet thats why i put the odd hour.

• Like 1

Forgot to say I agree with ever thing Trigger said apart from the odd hour bit, some will run all night.

true some will run all night Trev. but as the lad is only 13 i cant imagine him doing big shifts lamping for a few year yet thats why i put the odd hour.

:thumbs:

Think the whippet must be one of tbe most under estimated dogs out could be a great companion for a young lad there is a cracking litter just now don't know if there's any left but these dogs are bred for rabbits and will be excellent at there game they are collie whippet greyhound I like tbe beddies myself the best rabbiting dogs I've had have always had a we touch of greyhound in themy and are about 21ttspost-71205-0-37328300-1508928287_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies lads, some good information there to take on board. I'll think it through and maybe have a few more trips out with the lad, but if he did lose interest then I would make sure the dog got out often as I had them many years ago. I like the grey shaggy coat in them and Just thought a beddyxwhippet wouldn't be as big around the house as the missus not keen on big dogs. And apparently they don't drop much hair?

(less to hoover up) ?