Fed Up

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well lads,you cant expect rabbits to be in abundance like they used to be,what with mxy, rhd,predators,night shooting,ferreting, lamping,weather conditions, summer hunters, the list is endless,but the

Give a bell a try chaff.Great around big brambles bushes and thick hedges as arry said.you would be unlucky for the ferret to sneak out the back without you hearing it. Sometimes they will fill a bit

They sit out around here thick cover or not. Then the dog finds them and puts them under a bit of pressure until they go to ground. Unless the cover is really thick then he struggles a bit. But with o

Coney are very thin on the ground round my way what with mixy etc, don't help when farmers daughters new fella shoots every Coney, hare, Fox he sees, and then leaves good food on the ground to rot. Iv kept my whippets away from areas were Coney are this summer we would normally get at least a couple while bushing but they just ain't the numbers about. Im having to travel to Norfolk, lincs to get a half decent day out with pugs. I really hope they make a come back,without the rabbit in our country side a lot of other wildlife will suffer never mind ferreting, lamping for them. They need a chance to come back. The rabbit is a surviver I just hope they can get through this hard time, this new decease is taking its toll and iv found rabbits of all ages dead wich look healthy and plump.

The last year or two around here a lot of my local spots have died out or dam near. I lamped a spot last week where a couple of year ago I took my youngest daughter to see the dog run and he knocked over 5 in a very short time and in two fields. The same spot now the forestry has been clear felled and the farmer has trimmed all the hedges and bull dozed the brambles and mixi has hit and now not a rabbit to be seen. Quite sad really the country is a bare place once it's devoid of rabbits. Luckily they are survivors and will return hopefully.

Edited by terryd

Same in my area,none, then a fair amount in small pockets.The rabbits in these pockets are starting to look a bit strange probably due to a small gene pool.I made a mistake on one property and killed the entire population,now none around for km's there.I had to remove them as they were destroying thousands of dollars worth of farm trees planted.Happy farmer,sad hunter.

Edited by Aussie Whip

We get good odd pockets them we wipe them out and move on the rabbits aren't around in the big numbers they once where and don't seem able to repopulate a farm like they where in the 70s & 80s one farmer ive had for years and i thought of as a pal said i had made a good job of the rabbits there where hardly any around i needn't come back and he had let the farm for deer stalking

I have a local spot that holds a few, that I have left alone for about 6 months, I went for a walk with the dogs there yesterday, and was pleased to see quite a few ½ grown, and a few larger ones, amongst them were some pure black kits and, the pure black mum, obviously an escaped pet.

When the numbers start to drop I will stop and move on. I’m a bit spoiled for choice so it’s easy for me.

All the best for the season guy’s, hope they bounce back in the thinner areas for you.