Brightmoor Bred Dog

3 hours ago, neil cooney said:

Sorry FD but haven't got anything in pedigrees that Rabbit Hunter hasn't given you from The Fell Hunter. I have 3 pedigrees here that go back as far as Black Davey but that's it.

Interestingly I looked at Plummers book a while back and seen that Cyril Breay confided in Wally Wyld that there was not one drop of bull blood in his terriers. Yet Rusty (a grandson of Black Davey's) was known to be aggressive with other dogs and would even attack a hound. When Breay offered him to Buck, Buck said no thanks. A smooth coated red or black terrier that went for other dogs would have lads saying it's a bull cross nowadays.

You better have another read of that book. Plummer said Wyld said Breay said. And all the Pedigrees go to Dave but no further. 

In the book it says Breay only ever wrote down one pedigree . I'll quote the book here

"The only written pedigree Breay was ever known to send anyone-which stated that Davey was bred out of a black bull terrier type fell bitch"

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found these old photos of Bill, Doug and Stan when we were at Bill's place, he is holding a dog that he gave me. The photos of the terriers are non-descript northern working terriers photos taken arou

Thanks mate . Bit further back than I have so glad I asked . The Ulswater dog , if anyone is interested was called Rusty if all checks out ., bred by R Tomlinson . . The name Davey then reappears with

I had two dogs from Bill, one was a black and tan bitch that was average the other was a black rough coated demon. It was too aggressive with people and decided to wake from sleeping by my feet one ev

Posted Images

How you keeping you shit stirrin fecker, LOL ?

What page Bryan because Plummer did write that he confided in W.W. in that there is not a single drop of bull blood in his terriers.

Bryan ? Could there be a difference in a black bull type of terrier and bull cross type of terrier ???????? In my opinion of course there is. One looks like a bull terrier cross and the other is a bull terrier cross (I don't mean the English Bull Terrier, I mean the proper working type bull of that era) so IMO if Cyril Breay said a bull type then that's what he meant, not a bull cross. Why would a man who was known for honesty who kept meticulous records say that there was no bull blood in his dogs then slip up by mentioning one who had ?

And going back to modern terriers why would there be a handful of lad who got them of Mr Breay directly or within a generation or two who've kept them to themselves and gave to friends tell lies about adding bull blood when they've had nothing to gain ??

There's plenty of terriers out there with no bull blood in them that are very heavy on the blood of Mrs's Breay and Buck.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, neil cooney said:

How you keeping you shit stirrin fecker, LOL ?

What page Bryan because Plummer did write that he confided in W.W. in that there is not a single drop of bull blood in his terriers.

Bryan ? Could there be a difference in a black bull type of terrier and bull cross type of terrier ???????? In my opinion of course there is. One looks like a bull terrier cross and the other is a bull terrier cross (I don't mean the English Bull Terrier, I mean the proper working type bull of that era) so IMO if Cyril Breay said a bull type then that's what he meant, not a bull cross. Why would a man who was known for honesty who kept meticulous records say that there was no bull blood in his dogs then slip up by mentioning one who had ?

And going back to modern terriers why would there be a handful of lad who got them of Mr Breay directly or within a generation or two who've kept them to themselves and gave to friends tell lies about adding bull blood when they've had nothing to gain ??

There's plenty of terriers out there with no bull blood in them that are very heavy on the blood of Mrs's Breay and Buck.

Why would you say bull type if the said dog had no association with bull blood as you say? Doesnt make sense. 

I'm not the cleverest tool.in the box but I'd find his writings to get say complicated and what would he have you believe, probably like others who write books. The have to write something and fill in gaps and all that. On the side of your dogs though, I would admire though of them going back to great dogs such as black davey etc , which were obviously something great behind them from history and a start of good terriers 

I've no time for Plummer myself but there are no contradictions in the book regarding Mr Breays terriers breeding.

He did say to Wally Wyld that there's not a drop of bull in his terriers and he did say that Gem was a black bull terrier TYPE of Fell terrier. I fail to see how this says that he put bull in his terriers. I have a prick eared bitch here that looks like a black miniture bull terrier but because I have all her breeding from genuine honest men the only way there could be bull in her is if it was put in in the 50s and to me that doesn't mean a thing.

I've no time for Plummer myself but there are no contradictions in the book regarding Mr Breays terriers breeding.

He did say to Wally Wyld that there's not a drop of bull in his terriers and he did say that Gem was a black bull terrier TYPE of Fell terrier. I fail to see how this says that he put bull in his terriers. I have a prick eared bitch here that looks like a black miniture bull terrier but because I have all her breeding from genuine honest men the only way there could be bull in her is if it was put in in the 50s and to me that doesn't mean a thing.

When it comes to a terriers breeding I'm a glass half full type of chap but it seems most are glass half empty types8Pbut then again I've always dealt with honest folk (and f**k the rest) and believe most of what they tell me.

• Like 2

Knew a lad that used to visit Bill often, he said that he always liked Sid Wilkinsons dogs and if he, or Middleton had a good 'un on he would try to use it.

Used to sit at his kitchen table when he went, once with a revolver on it. Bill said he chased Plummer down the road with it when he came to him reserching his Fell Terrier book. That's why Bill didn't make it in..!

He was a nice bloke with hands like a bunch of bananas!

The Jock in Fell Terrier was Gary's.

Bill favoured a harder terrier.

48 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Knew a lad that used to visit Bill often, he said that he always liked Sid Wilkinsons dogs and if he, or Middleton had a good 'un on he would try to use it.

Used to sit at his kitchen table when he went, once with a revolver on it. Bill said he chased Plummer down the road with it when he came to him reserching his Fell Terrier book. That's why Bill didn't make it in..!

He was a nice bloke with hands like a bunch of bananas!

The Jock in Fell Terrier was Gary's.

Bill favoured a harder terrier.

Wasn't your man's dog Duke, brightmore ? and he reliable chap, .a good digging man . You're mate when out with it didn't he , when he was going to get the service off it and he told him how it was , because he was honest, 

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

hi rom thought that might have been you on the Spartacus  Scratch post. How's things hope your keeping well.  Was talking to staff lad a while back said he was going up to use an old dog, its the first I had seen him since Wales lol. I told him I've still got an old white dog out of Bullseye x Bomber that he could use lol I wonder what Bill would make of the internet, and the way the dog game is know. . What about BW you ever come across him haven't seen him in yrs last I herd he had his kennels robbed. 

Everyone doubts the tales of a  terrier killing a badger to ground especially now that these tales have a few decades of time behind them, but of all the tales I've heard brightmore bred terriers feature more than any other type, days long gone now.