Brightmoor Bred Dog

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Found these old photos of Bill, Doug and Stan when we were at Bill's place, he is holding a dog that he gave me. The photos of the terriers are non-descript northern working terriers photos taken arou

Thanks mate . Bit further back than I have so glad I asked . The Ulswater dog , if anyone is interested was called Rusty if all checks out ., bred by R Tomlinson . . The name Davey then reappears with

I had two dogs from Bill, one was a black and tan bitch that was average the other was a black rough coated demon. It was too aggressive with people and decided to wake from sleeping by my feet one ev

Posted Images

Seen some of the stuff go in my early years and was impressed .What didn't impress me was the dog aggression ,even though I had sane problems with what I was breeding at the time .Early entering stuff if memory is right and compact workers too.Without getting the full picture I'd say most of the stuff has been absorbed by other breeders and the real deal is pretty much a rarity these days .

• Like 2

Was only seeing if any body was working dogs bred down from he's stuff as I have line bred my own dogs that was from Bill him self and my current dogs carry his line still . Just was seeing if anyone else had dogs bred down from he's dogs . Not sayin bright Moore as a breed just if anyone had dogs still working from he's dogs . Atb 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 30/10/2017 at 10:00 PM, foxdropper said:

Seen some of the stuff go in my early years and was impressed .What didn't impress me was the dog aggression ,even though I had sane problems with what I was breeding at the time .Early entering stuff if memory is right and compact workers too.Without getting the full picture I'd say most of the stuff has been absorbed by other breeders and the real deal is pretty much a rarity these days .

I had two dogs from Bill, one was a black and tan bitch that was average the other was a black rough coated demon. It was too aggressive with people and decided to wake from sleeping by my feet one evening to turn into a Tasmanian Devil. I made the mistake of trying to pick it up by the scruff and was too slow, it took lumps out of my hand and arm, it didn't live with me after that.

Last time Bill and I met was just after Christmas 1980, and after a great day at the farm we spent the rest of it trying to drink ten pints of Marsden's Pedigree at the pub over the road which I think was the Black Bull.

In hindsight his dogs were fit for that time but now there are better dogs around, rose coloured glasses do not work. I see great running dogs and terriers about these days with little use for a earth dog that was that aggressive it would attack a fox in a rock den that had the advantage of a ledge, an intelligent terrier would bay not attack in that situation. I'm of a generation who tried to breed the best dogs for all the wrong reasons, we bred terriers for aggression and running dogs for height and looks when they should have been bred with good feet (southern England flint) and stamina.. Many a night Doug Cooper and I had to pick up our dogs and retreat after one run because the feet were cut to pieces, mind you the dogs looked great. All of us from that era including the 'names' Mick the Norfolk Poacher, Doug Cooper, Mad Stan, even Plummer were amateurs making it up as we went along. Brian and I got one fairly well and I had one of his early lurches which was average but I'm well pleased for him that he out of the lot of us toe rags has a dog breed named after him, say what you want that's the dogs bollocks we would all like, yeh, even this old git!

• Like 6

Tratante, we can only comment on the dogs we witnessed ourselves and that is your experience of "Brightmoor" terriers, my mates bitch "MEG" was a good all round honest worker, quiet in the kennel and house, but a demon when out, never seen her beaten by anything she was asked to work, she was my mates first real terrier and proved to be an education for all 3 of us young lads, back in 70's the world was a different place and the countryside was wild, you never bumped into anti's or idiots protecting badgers or foxes and if a farmer asked you to remove a badger it was done without a song and dance with nobody any the wiser, my mates bitch was the only terrier that we ever dug a badger to that killed one, she did it on more than one occasion so it wasn't a one off, she never took much damage on those times either !!  I've seen her with a lot more damage on a fox, I always put it down to the fact the "tubes" were larger on brock and she was able to move around easier, she was a clever bitch that learnt early to show the top of her head to anything coming onto her quick, standing her ground and would simply flick her head under the throat, pinning and choking them to death, if she was picked on in the car by another terrier she would do the same thing, she never started trouble with any dog lurcher or terrier but she would certainly end it, she lived until a ripe old age and was "gummy" losing most of her front teeth mainly on fox by 9yrs old, we only ever bred 1 litter off her, we put her to a "Nuttall" dog my mate owned that was brainless, not much nose but accounted for a lot of "Gear" , they produced 3 pups, one of my mates kept a pup "Tina" but she never amounted to anything really, she lacked nose and was a bully, dog aggressive but a sh*thouse to ground (as many of that type are), a tad large as well for this area (Cheshire/merseyside) were most earths are scratched out rabbit bury's, as an old bitch half blind living her days out by my mates fireside it was always heart wrenching to see her come to the window whining in expectation of a good day out when I would knock for him on those early frosty winter mornings and found it hard to settle knowing we were out , when we got back to his after a good day out she would come over sniffing our clothes to see what we had done that day as if in approval before going back to her place by the fire, the day she passed was a sad day for all of us and its never easy replacing a "Good one", everything there after is judged by the high standards set those special dogs that grace your life from time to time and "MEG" was one of them, WM

• Like 3

a lad i used to dig with [early eighties] had one of bill,,a cracking black pup,good head on him and nice coat.. but,, he made the mistake of leaving him in the back of his trannie with a mother and son..so that put paid to that..he got another of bill months later,,whence it went on to good things...