Harrishawks 05

jasper65

Harris Females 13 weeks, scnd clutch now ready, 2 x females still in with Parents, for some reason sold all the males first, Father: gennuine Mexican Import brought in by the BFC, Mother: another old BFC members bird which I brought in a good few years ago, All birds fed on good quality diet includeing dead game thrown in the aviary to keep the youngsters busy ;), £350 each, a quick picture of a young female from this pair a couple of years back.

Cheers

Tony

harrisonbow.jpg

:friends: Can I ask a question, perhaps you could answer it on here or start another thread.

If a newbie to birds, wanted to start from scratch how much would the initial set up cost ? i.e. all the bits and bobs you'd need, the aviary, weekly feeding cost, day's out training etc etc..

Just a thought, I see that your youngsters are £350, what would a trained bird be... that is if owners sell on trained birds?

I'm sure other readers would be interested, I am, but don't have enough time spare at the moment..

Cheers

SJ.

:friends:  Can I ask  a question, perhaps you could answer it on here or start another thread.

If a newbie to birds, wanted to start from scratch how much would the initial set up cost ? i.e. all the bits and bobs you'd need, the aviary, weekly feeding cost,  day's out training etc etc..

Just a thought, I see that your youngsters are £350, what would a trained bird be... that is if owners sell on trained birds?

I'm sure other readers would be interested, I am, but don't have enough time spare at the moment..

Cheers

SJ.

For starters a good falconry course could well set you back £200-400 unless you know somone who can teach you and spend some time with handling birds and flying birds, a good starter books would also be of benefit which will put you through stages of building weatherings and perhaps aviary building and basic equipment, a falconry course should certainly do that too! always do your homework set up a weathering and get your equipment in advance of getting a bird, equipment won't set you back any more than say £150 for things like a: bow perch/Glove/leashes/Bells/anklets/jesses/swivel/ and perhaps a hood but this is personal preferance for alot of birds but I would always hood a P/R Gos or Falcon.

You can get everything you want off these two sites:

http://www.falconiformes.co.uk/wip_falconiformes_001.htm

http://www.benlongfalconry.com/index.html

also there is the consideration of food, this is the site I order all my food from, during the breeding season I litterally go through 3000 chicks and 250 quail every 6 weeks :blink:, but then having 7 breeding Gos, Peregrines, Harrishawks, Hybreds, Sparrowhawks you can't wonder at it .

http://www.honeybrookfarm.com/

Normally a trainned bird won't cost you anymore than a bird fresh out of the aviary, the thing you have to take into account is how gennuine is the trainned bird? what bad vices has it picked up? why is it for sale if its that good? how was it reared?, personaly I won't touch a trainned bird from a flying point of view, but have brought them in for breeding stock, if you take a bird fresh out of the aviary Its totally Fresh for Manning and Trainning! the balls in your court as to how this bird turns out, if you have done your homework the bird should turn out fine but any mistakes made by the handler will be down to you, once you have taken up your charge and took it through all the Manning/Trainning process and finally get the bird Entered and Hunting its one of the most rewarding sports available, its nice to be able to stand back and pat yourself on the back sometimes as to what you have just acheived.

All in all its like any sport. you can cheap skate on equipment or you can go out and buy to best available but it won't make you a better falconer! I'm a DIY cheap skate who beleives you can still have quality at half the expense and make a huge saving on Equipment/Aviaries/Weatherings..

Hope this helps a bit

Tony