Lead Free Pellets

The short answer is - no, not really. A good soft lead diablo will flare out with the pulse of air from the rifle, so it will form to the rifling in the barrel better. This combined with the extra weight provided by the density of lead will make the pellet fly better (better ballistic coefficient) and be more accurate over longer ranges.

The best non-lead pellet I tried was H&N FTT Green. In an HW100kt that I used to have they grouped ok up to 30ish yards but, they spread fairly quickly after that.

They did hit hard though - firing into a pine board they gave a good loud knock.

Is there a reason that you need to use non-lead pellets?

By all means, do your own tests - your particular rifle could well give different results. Also, it's all part of the fun :yes:

Good luck and atb :thumbs:

• Like 1

I'm with Jon on this one. Try some if you must but just don't bother with any tin pellets. Rws make some and they are about 1/4 of the weight of a gnats bo×@ock and are not accurate past 20 yards maximum. Even then, they don't deliver enough whollop.

Giles did a review on them a while back and they tooooooooooo light?

• Like 1

The short answer is - no, not really. A good soft lead diablo will flare out with the pulse of air from the rifle, so it will form to the rifling in the barrel better. This combined with the extra weight provided by the density of lead will make the pellet fly better (better ballistic coefficient) and be more accurate over longer ranges.

The best non-lead pellet I tried was H&N FTT Green. In an HW100kt that I used to have they grouped ok up to 30ish yards but, they spread fairly quickly after that.

They did hit hard though - firing into a pine board they gave a good loud knock.

Is there a reason that you need to use non-lead pellets?

By all means, do your own tests - your particular rifle could well give different results. Also, it's all part of the fun :yes:

Good luck and atb :thumbs:

I do the pest control on MOD/ RAF sites in the east midlands and the contracts are insisting that we use non toxic shot on all bases moving forwards. I was thinking maybe I make a jump and get comfortable with using lead free pellets before it is insisted upon completely. I'm using a bsa ultra, its a good little rifle for the type of shooting we do,

Jakk

Use lead pellets like normal and keep a tin of steel/zinc or whatever none lead pellets handy in your jacket pocket. If anyone in officialdom MoDPlods, RAF Snowdrops etc. askes you what ammo you are using, show him/her the tin of none-lead. :hmm::icon_eek::huh:

None lead ammo is a waste of time and money, I find.

Live in peace with your rifle, I say! :thumbs:

• Like 3

Cannot remember when it was, but a concerted effort was pushed to ban all lead not only for shooting but also fishing. All fine when removing from Petrol but do not see anything that will do the same job in Air Rifles.

But that is just my take on things.

Plenty of all kinds of pellets on the market. H&N and so on do them, but speaking just for myself. I would never put anything other than lead through any of my Air Rifle Barrels.

All the very best