Swans In Duck Pond

Hi there

Back for some duck shooinng season! I've been feeding a pond near me for about 4 weeks 2/3 buckets every week.. lately I've been seeing swans in the last week! Are they good or bad in a duck pond? Would they eat all the feed before the ducks? There's a river near me too which you rarely see swans so it was strange! I've been seeing a good few ducks in the pond which was good!

Is there anything I can do? I herd there not good to have on a duck pond..

Forgot to add this pond is small, basically a flood pond there would be no water weeds In their, the pond is surrounded by small one acre field with bushes surrounding it!

Edited by zFall

Cheers I'll stop feeding it! They should move hopefully do you think as it's a small pond not even 50ft wide and 130ft long! Just a flood pond.

Should I checkup on it and see if the swans are there every week or so? Kinda annoying as was planning on shooting the pond oh well!

It's a bit more flooded than normal and has nearly doubled in size than normal I'm thinking they might go away when the pond goes down in size also?

Edited by zFall

Invite a few Eastern Europeans around. There was swans on ever river and canal in Ireland plentiful that were doing no harm and even the poachers didn't touch them until they arrived and the swans slowly disappeared. They must of ate them with the vast amount of course fish that they took from the canals. They are virtually barren now from them dragging nets along the old barge towpaths for the horses. I often seen 4 or 5 swans on ponds with dozens of ducks and no problems. When the drakes outnumber ducks 3 to 1 then it seemed more dangerous for hen mallard getting drowned.

• Like 1

Invite a few Eastern Europeans around. There was swans on ever river and canal in Ireland plentiful that were doing no harm and even the poachers didn't touch them until they arrived and the swans slowly disappeared. They must of ate them with the vast amount of course fish that they took from the canals. They are virtually barren now from them dragging nets along the old barge towpaths for the horses. I often seen 4 or 5 swans on ponds with dozens of ducks and no problems. When the drakes outnumber ducks 3 to 1 then it seemed more dangerous for hen mallard getting drowned.

No I'm alright I don't want to see them around here anytime soon.. they've done enough damage to pike stocks at our local lakes getting back to hunting now;

I didn't see any ducks come off today which was strange I ideally see around 20 ish.. just three swans

• Like 1

Trouble with swans is they become tame and will start following you expecting the feed.....they are not daft birds........I had the same trouble and resorted till feeding just before last light so they didn't get chance to eat the feed before the ducks turned up.....best of luck

Trouble with swans is they become tame and will start following you expecting the feed.....they are not daft birds........I had the same trouble and resorted till feeding just before last light so they didn't get chance to eat the feed before the ducks turned up.....best of luck

They weren't happy with me being there they flew off as soon as I got to them! Would you say to stop feeding for a week or two and see if there there? I fed them today just before dark, would you say to keep doing this if they don't go away? I'll have to go before dark from now on!

If you,stop feeding the ducks won't come, chase them off if you can or feed before dark. Let a couple of shots off and see if they piss off. The ones on my pond weren't bothered by shots at all however.....keep at it....

If you,stop feeding the ducks won't come, chase them off if you can or feed before dark. Let a couple of shots off and see if they piss off. The ones on my pond weren't bothered by shots at all however.....keep at it....

Cheers I'll keep feeding then! I'll go a few mins before dark anymore ! Just a question would the swans stay there over night? Every time I've been their (at dark) I've seen foxes waiting at the pond !