Cluster Flies In Boarded Out Garage Roof

Went to a property to do a wasps nest and she asked me about cluster flies in her converted garage.

The upstairs room is a living area with sofa, TV. She said it was used as a holiday let.

The cluster flies gather in the Velux windows in the roof.

The roof is boarded out with plasterboard and there are GL10 downlighters in the ceiling.

So how do you control cluster flies in this room?

Smoke bomb is an option as she would cover up or remove the furniture but the flies hibernate behind the plasterboard so the smoke would not get to them and there is a potential fire risk if smoke gets behind the plasterboard where the flies are.

There will be insulation between the rafters.

Diatomaceous Earth in the Velux somewhere?

Fly papers.

EFK?

And you cant use ULV? its too early to treat anyway, if you treat now there will only be more coming.

Should have said, going to return in winter to do something. Not now.

Edited by jackg

Went to a property to do a wasps nest and she asked me about cluster flies in her converted garage.

The upstairs room is a living area with sofa, TV. She said it was used as a holiday let.

The cluster flies gather in the Velux windows in the roof.

The roof is boarded out with plasterboard and there are GL10 downlighters in the ceiling.

So how do you control cluster flies in this room?

Smoke bomb is an option as she would cover up or remove the furniture but the flies hibernate behind the plasterboard so the smoke would not get to them and there is a potential fire risk if smoke gets behind the plasterboard where the flies are.

There will be insulation between the rafters.

Diatomaceous Earth in the Velux somewhere?

Fly papers.

EFK?

Is there an access point to the roof void?

Working in fairly rural areas I do a lot of jobs like this, barn convertions etc. It always surprises me how far ulv can reach and how much off a difference cracking a window or opening a door to create some air flow can make to job.never had to resort to anything for cluster flies, bar residual insecticide around velux Windows.

This might not work in the situation you describe but it is good for attics that have thousands of cluster flies gaining access to hibernate, especially in old buildings where it's hard to fill all the small holes that allow cluster flies to get down in to bed rooms etc. You can get Auto aerosol sprayers. They are like those timed sent sprayers you get in pub toilets and run off of 2 'D' Batteries. Did a cluster job in a house in Frome. Woman was complaining that she was getting them in and around the bedroom windows. One bedroom in particular was full of them. This room had a loft hatch. Went in loft and there were thousands of flies . They were getting in around the loft hatch. You could see light coming up into the attic when in the attic. Sealed it with some padded draft strip (got from builders merchants), set off 3 smoke bombs in baked bean tins, then set her up with 2 auto sprayers. Kept them up there for 2 months before removing them. You used to be able to get them from KillGerm but I was told they don't sell them any more but I know they exist and do work. Smoke bombs are good for initial knock down but other flies soon find their way in.