Who Loves Pork

post-35922-0-39175700-1508566672_thumb.jpg

I like pork, and these two are the best I have ever eaten.......wild boar x and you wont ever want to eat shop bought pork again.

A couple coming after Christmas.......the two in this picture are in the freezer :)

Edited by WILF
  • Like 7

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I do , found meself working opposite a deli in berkhamstead had me eye on this baby with stuffing mustard n apple sauce oh and crackling it were wonderful they should make everybody eat one in t

Absolutely love a bit of pork. Used to buy in half a pig reared on a smallholding in Kent very regularly. Now it's just me and her I don't bother. I really must get back into it. There's so much you

I like pork, and these two are the best I have ever eaten.......wild boar x and you wont ever want to eat shop bought pork again. A couple coming after Christmas.......the two in this picture are in

Posted Images

attachicon.gifIMG_5769.JPG

I like pork, and these two are the best I have ever eaten.......wild boar x and you wont ever want to eat shop bought pork again.

A couple coming after Christmas.......the two in this picture are in the freezer :)

Absolutely love a bit of pork. Used to buy in half a pig reared on a smallholding in Kent very regularly. Now it's just me and her I don't bother. I really must get back into it.

There's so much you can do with pork, and it's all delicious. The ultimate I think was air drying/curing a back leg along the lines of serrano/parma ham.

Before... attachicon.gifparma1.jpg

After... attachicon.gifparma10.jpg

look very tasty

Sort your pictures out! You can't be any more inept than me?

• Like 1

Absolutely love a bit of pork. Used to buy in half a pig reared on a smallholding in Kent very regularly. Now it's just me and her I don't bother. I really must get back into it.

There's so much you can do with pork, and it's all delicious. The ultimate I think was air drying/curing a back leg along the lines of serrano/parma ham.

Before... attachicon.gifparma1.jpg

After... attachicon.gifparma10.jpg

look very tasty

Yes it was very nice indeed, but it's all a bit of a palava to be honest so I went on to use the eye of loin for Lomo, similar thing but didn't take so long to cure.

post-84277-0-15992500-1508573098.jpg

Thing is, there is so much you can do with pork and you only get the one belly per side and I normally have a dilemma of what to use it for. I have in the past used the whole side for fresh sausages. Used to make some large (10") chilli sausages using dried Nigerian birds eye chillies, they packed a punch, as did the jerk pork and apple.

• Like 5

Pork is the world's most popular meat, accounting for 70%.

Figures from the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organisation

This is no surprise though as China is the biggest producer and look how many mouths they have to feed.

And what an irony of the recent cultural migrations of people that exclude pig from their diet, moving to nations where pig derived meat is the most common.

Pigs are so easy to keep. Everyone with a bit of land should have a go.

• Like 1

Got some pigs coming in the new year, they'll be penned in the woods, first time for me with pigs a mate brings on 6 at a time and the meat off em is beautiful

I don't know what anyone else thinks mate but I would advise not to get too many to start with, a couple will yield up enough meat to feed a family for months.

Learn all their funny traits and all the various methods they have to escape and it's easier to catch 2 than it is 6 when they decide to go for an explore.

Get them used to you with a bucket of grub and leading them around is easy.

Pigs are bright and good fun and they are like naughty children......so start small would be my advice.

• Like 1

Got some pigs coming in the new year, they'll be penned in the woods, first time for me with pigs a mate brings on 6 at a time and the meat off em is beautiful

I don't know what anyone else thinks mate but I would advise not to get too many to start with, a couple will yield up enough meat to feed a family for months.

Learn all their funny traits and all the various methods they have to escape and it's easier to catch 2 than it is 6 when they decide to go for an explore.

Pigs are bright and good fun and they are like naughty children......so start small would be my advice.

did you have any experience wilf before you moved to ireland

No mate, I have made loads of mistakes and tried to learn as I have gone along........one of the things I have/am learning is not to over stock yourself too quick plus certain types of animals will yield up a lot of meat per animal so you dont need many.

Chicken you can't rear for the table as cheaply as you can buy it from the butcher so I only keep them for eggs.

• Like 2

I've had Sheep, Goats, Chicken and Turkeys. Done the whole thing myself, from bottle feed to freezer. Can't bring myself to do Pigs, too intelligent and I think I'd get too attached to them.

I took my Sheep to the abattoir once ( horrible places), they had a power cut, I had to drag the sheep out of the van ( they knew something weren't right) and put them in a pen whilst I did the paper work and they sorted the power out. When I came back to the van which was parked near the pen where I had left them, they started to call to me, it proper choked me up :cray: I nearly put them back in the van and took them home to do myself. I will never go back to an abattoir again.

I may have another think about Pigs as they come up all the time, proper cheap too, £30-£40 is the going rate for a weaner, the older the better and they cost about £1 per day or there abouts depending on how much free grub you can get.

Obviously I have kids so they get attached to the animals as we all do but we have squared that circle by making sure they have a good free range life.......we enjoy them, we look after them and when the time comes they look after us.

Most of my animals end up tame so when it's time to go to slaughter, there's no stress.....they follow me into the trailer happy as Larry, follow me out and go in the small producers pen at the slaughter house and stand there happy as Larry.

They don't know a thing about it.

• Like 2

I've had Sheep, Goats, Chicken and Turkeys. Done the whole thing myself, from bottle feed to freezer. Can't bring myself to do Pigs, too intelligent and I think I'd get too attached to them.

I took my Sheep to the abattoir once ( horrible places), they had a power cut, I had to drag the sheep out of the van ( they knew something weren't right) and put them in a pen whilst I did the paper work and they sorted the power out. When I came back to the van which was parked near the pen where I had left them, they started to call to me, it proper choked me up :cray: I nearly put them back in the van and took them home to do myself. I will never go back to an abattoir again.

I may have another think about Pigs as they come up all the time, proper cheap too, £30-£40 is the going rate for a weaner, the older the better and they cost about £1 per day or there abouts depending on how much free grub you can get.

i kept a few sheep years back the tastiest were hebridean , hardy little b*****ds but very very tasty big ol ram and a few ewes dont take long to get a few for slaughter , kept pigs free range funny fkers , guinea fowl anglo nubian goats geese and chickens all found there way into the cooker /bbq, dont think same rules apply now as back then but it was great fun , home reared food deffinately is tasty

Edited by green lurchers

Cheers for the advice mate,

I know the biggest problem will be the kids (and the mrs) becoming too attached and we'll end up with loads of animals lol.

Supposed to be getting 6 turkeys off a mate, had a slight hitch but still hoping to be bringing them on for Christmas...

the next door farmer wants to put sheep on here too, it'll be a good way learn a bit about keeping them and I'll put a few of my own on as well... plus a couple of goats, had goats as kids they were great fun and certainly kept on top of the vegetation...

Got a few chickens and a duck at the minute..