Home Brewing

I was waiting for the first frost to start the sloe gin but might just cheat and throw them in the freezer overnight

The sloes have all gone round here....they all went knackered 2 weeks ago...lucky I got loads picked

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bang right Ant, that’s what I’ve done. I bought a temperature controller from eBay (£20) from China, and with a few quid of electrical supplies from Screwfix and PoundStretcher, made a module. You pre

the coopers irish stout it really nice if made with spraymalt instead of sugar.

I brew quite a lot, mostly beer now but do the odd wine and sometimes I ferment straight wash to 20%, clear it and add a flavour, the best I've found is Cuban rum essence which costs about 2.50 and wi

Posted Images

I like beer brewing and have got back into it over the last two year, I did my first in a corney keg, and just finished that, its good to do, I liked the dry recipes years ago but struggle to get the ingredients now, so been doing Coopers kits, and they have been good,

yes its spot on I have done this with brewing sugar instead of normal white sugar its very tasty, I bottled there stout, and kegged a bitter, am going to get some in for Xmas, trying to get some flip top bottles

Aldi are doing a beer festival....loads of beers in flip top bottles.... buying em full of beer works out a few quid more expensive than buying em empty!!!!

I like beer brewing and have got back into it over the last two year, I did my first in a corney keg, and just finished that, its good to do, I liked the dry recipes years ago but struggle to get the ingredients now, so been doing Coopers kits, and they have been good,

yes its spot on I have done this with brewing sugar instead of normal white sugar its very tasty, I bottled there stout, and kegged a bitter, am going to get some in for Xmas, trying to get some flip top bottles

Aldi are doing a beer festival....loads of beers in flip top bottles.... buying em full of beer works out a few quid more expensive than buying em empty!!!!

sounds good I found a few week ago a bloke on eBay selling bolt on flip tops from China I can’t find them now,

I'd a batch of cider go manky on me once upon a time. Swing top bottles, I figure the seals (first use) weren't doing their job. On opening if you didn't get a good POP! you knew it was mank. Got a capper after that and didn't look back. Get as many empty bottles down the local as you can handle.

I'd a batch of cider go manky on me once upon a time. Swing top bottles, I figure the seals (first use) weren't doing their job. On opening if you didn't get a good POP! you knew it was mank. Got a capper after that and didn't look back. Get as many empty bottles down the local as you can handle.

The Home Brew websites sell replacement seals for the swing tops - I came across a load of Grolsch bottles a few years ago and I washed them up and sterilised them but the seals were gone and I saw them on a website, only a few bob for a 100 - Job done.

The Home Brew websites sell replacement seals for the swing tops - I came across a load of Grolsch bottles a few years ago and I washed them up and sterilised them but the seals were gone and I saw them on a website, only a few bob for a 100 - Job done.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F182502982410 these are them if the link works ok, got to be worth a try, it will take a while to get them due to being in China, but looks as if they will fit any bottle,

They look good, although it was only the rubber seals I changed, the swing top on most of those bottles lasts a lifetime

I think with these being bolt/fasten on, you should be able to fit it further down the neck, making for a tighter seal at the mouth / bottle opening, and of course you will be able to swap them from bottle to bottle, should you need to although unlikely you will ever need to,
  • Like 1

I've seen 5 litre plastic demijohns for £4.99........

.....so I bought 5 litres of spring water from Tesco (£1.50). The good lady drank the water, I drilled the lid and sealed an airlock in - sorted !

have you seen the ones made from drinking fountain water bottles they look handy,

I brew quite a lot, mostly beer now but do the odd wine and sometimes I ferment straight wash to 20%, clear it and add a flavour, the best I've found is Cuban rum essence which costs about 2.50 and will you a 750cl bottle of good tasting 20% rum "style" which tastes good with a drop of coke and ice and less than £4 for a 750cl.

Average beer works out about 35p a pint and if you go a bit more upmarket maybe 45p.

It's enjoyable and commercial beer tastes like piss when you make your own proper stuff because that's exactly what it is.

Commercial breweries churn out some real crap, Budweiser are very disappointed now they have to write on the label what it's made from......RICE. Check the small print on the front....no more America's finest hops and barley...Vietnams cheapest rice.

I was doing your vodka wash idea too - with turbo yeast and turbo clear in 25l batches. I was flavouring with soda stream flavours. Wow that was strong tasty stuff! and cost hardly anything to make.

.....so I bought 5 litres of spring water from Tesco (£1.50). The good lady drank the water, I drilled the lid and sealed an airlock in - sorted !

have you seen the ones made from drinking fountain water bottles they look handy,

I was given a carboy (25litre ?) but I never got round to using it.....not hard to acquire though. If you're gonna go, go big !

I was given a carboy (25litre ?) but I never got round to using it.....not hard to acquire though. If you're gonna go, go big !

I think she’s buying me a fruit press and I have access to loads of apples too late this year now, so will have to dig through some old posts, for next yr anybody know anything about useing Sankey barrels/ kegs as I am thinking of useing a couple of them