Feeding Wild Birds.

We used to put out the fat balls but ended up making our own with the cheapest lard and a seed mixture , a pack of lard makes two or three big tubs ( margarine ) just melt the lard mix in the seed , put in tubs , cool in fridge ..either empty on table when set or leave in the tub ..peanuts , mixed seed and niger seed pull in loads of goldies , tits , green finches , chaff finches , greater spotted woodpeckers , nuthatches , every now and then we get a little flock of long tailed tits and all the usual garden stuff ..All corvids and grey bushy tailed rats are banned and if I can get the bedroom window open without getting spotted ( really difficult with the corvids ) are shot on sight ...

I make my own fatballs when I have the time but I don't put whole seeds,when the seed's a covered in fat it's hard for them to get a grip on them I blend up a mixture of seeds then add porridge and other bit's and pieces' then roll them unto big balls

What binds it together P ?

The lard pal.

• Like 2

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a few...   Male House Finch.       Female black-chinned hummingbird.       Male Bullock's Oriole.       I'm no photographer

Massive amount of goldfinches around this year

Posted Images

We used to put out the fat balls but ended up making our own with the cheapest lard and a seed mixture , a pack of lard makes two or three big tubs ( margarine ) just melt the lard mix in the seed , put in tubs , cool in fridge ..either empty on table when set or leave in the tub ..peanuts , mixed seed and niger seed pull in loads of goldies , tits , green finches , chaff finches , greater spotted woodpeckers , nuthatches , every now and then we get a little flock of long tailed tits and all the usual garden stuff ..All corvids and grey bushy tailed rats are banned and if I can get the bedroom window open without getting spotted ( really difficult with the corvids ) are shot on sight ...

I make my own fatballs when I have the time but I don't put whole seeds,when the seed's a covered in fat it's hard for them to get a grip on them I blend up a mixture of seeds then add porridge and other bit's and pieces' then roll them unto big balls

The lard pal.

Gotcha ..I'll give that a go later ..??
  • Like 1

The lard pal.

Gotcha ..I'll give that a go later ..
I used to make them in coconut shells, drill a hole in the end thread some string through fill with lard and seed mix pop in the fridge then hang them up for the tits when there set
  • Like 1

The lard pal.

Gotcha ..I'll give that a go later ..
I used to make them in coconut shells, drill a hole in the end thread some string through fill with lard and seed mix pop in the fridge then hang them up for the tits when there set

I tried that but kept braking the shell's cutting them or when taking the flesh out.

I enjoy feeding the birds

Cheer's for you're input pal,very informative.

Fcuk I'm away for the incontinent knickers. Lol.
Not the french ones of Katchum's are they ?

Shhhhh don't tell anybody, it's our secret LPD.