Feeding Wild Birds.

Greenfinches a rarity round here but make up for them with loads of tree sparrows. Had 5 nestboxes with them in this year.

Have House Sparrows in the garden but a flock of Tree Sparrows around my fowl pens and plenty of Yellow Hammers too, lovely to see.

There's no yellowhammers around here I only seen some for the first time last year when I was in new lands grave yard it's full of them.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a few...   Male House Finch.       Female black-chinned hummingbird.       Male Bullock's Oriole.       I'm no photographer

Massive amount of goldfinches around this year

Posted Images

Do any of you lads see bull finches round you're way!

Get a pair from time to time but my brother in law has them all the time but he's out in the stick a bit more.

And taking about Wrens I love to hear them sing so loud and tell you off if you get in their territory.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry

. I do see bully,s but not in my garden I cover quite a lot of ground on my walks and normally see one or two pairs a year, but never loads, best bird I get on the feeders is a pair of blackcaps but they only come if we are about to get some really cold weather so make a good weather forecast, I buy mealworms in 20kg bags online, someone mentioned at the start that they are just a husk with no nutrition in them, I soak them in hot water before I feed them and they rehydrate into a full worm it also stops them blowing away in the wind, I had a male sparrow hawk in the tree this week watching the feeder I do love to see them
  • Like 2

Good tip greyman ill try soaking them.

when i come home from fishing i always bring the unused maggots back for the birds.

robins love them.

speaking of robins they are vicious wee buggers if any other birds dare to encroach on there patch lol

Good tip greyman ill try soaking them.

when i come home from fishing i always bring the unused maggots back for the birds.

robins love them.

speaking of robins they are vicious wee buggers if any other birds dare to encroach on there patch lol

they also fight to the death with other robins and are so territorial that they sing all night long to alert everyone that it's there patch, so if you here bird song at night it's nearly always a robin, they are also normally the first to start the dawn chorus in summer followed by blackbirds, the rounder a birds eyes the better there night vision this is why robins and blackbirds sing first, as they have the best eye site
  • Like 3

As others have said we only feed during the folder months there just not that intrested in the Sumner ...anything and everything goes out for the birds we buy all the usual seeds sunflower hearts nigger seeds ect it a lot of our own food scraps also including dead mice that the cat leaves the jakdaws and crows love em lol ....as for greenfinches we get a good few but a couple of years vack they were litarily dropping out the sky I was finding them dead all the time but thankfully last year they seemed to be making a recovery I didn't find any dead ...I think a squabble of long tail tits or the coal tit are my favourites ...it's great just to sit and watch the birds each species has its role like the tits on the fat balls and the dunnocks and chafinches getting the bits that fall of ...I could watch em all day .

• Like 2

Peanuts, seeds, fat filled coconut shells, fresh mealworms generally.

Blue, great and coal tits most regular visitors followed by robin, chaffinch, house and tree sparrows, pigeons, magpies.

Regular visitors but in patches, greenfinch, siskin, wren, long tail tits.

Occaisional visitors include lesser and greater spotted woodpeckers, jays, blackcaps, grey squirrels and brown rats.

Quite often have buzzards, tawny owls and kestrels in the trees in the garden though not all at once :D

Cheers. D.

Peanuts, seeds, fat filled coconut shells, fresh mealworms generally.

Blue, great and coal tits most regular visitors followed by robin, chaffinch, house and tree sparrows, pigeons, magpies.

Regular visitors but in patches, greenfinch, siskin, wren, long tail tits.

Occaisional visitors include lesser and greater spotted woodpeckers, jays, blackcaps, grey squirrels and brown rats.

Quite often have buzzards, tawny owls and kestrels in the trees in the garden though not all at once :D

Cheers. D.

We have Barn owls, there a f***ing nightmare, screaming at each other at unearthly hours, they say that there endangered, the fuckers here will be if they don`t shut the f**k up :laugh:

Anyone else? As a nice little bonus to the bird feeding does anyone else shoot rats at night on there feeder, I,m on 3 my son is on 2 at the moment for this season though I,m expecting a fresh wave as the cold comes in, good bit of urban hunting

Anyone else? As a nice little bonus to the bird feeding does anyone else shoot rats at night on there feeder, I,m on 3 my son is on 2 at the moment for this season though I,m expecting a fresh wave as the cold comes in, good bit of urban hunting

Nailed one last week ...still got the grub in its mouth :thumbs:

post-70213-0-09178600-1508433726_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

. I do see bully,s but not in my garden I cover quite a lot of ground on my walks and normally see one or two pairs a year, but never loads, best bird I get on the feeders is a pair of blackcaps but they only come if we are about to get some really cold weather so make a good weather forecast, I buy mealworms in 20kg bags online, someone mentioned at the start that they are just a husk with no nutrition in them, I soak them in hot water before I feed them and they rehydrate into a full worm it also stops them blowing away in the wind, I had a male sparrow hawk in the tree this week watching the feeder I do love to see them

There's about a hundred acres of wastland near me I walk it most day and if I keep my eye out for bully's as I walk it I easily see five to ten of them there's no shortage of them here and I'm not in the country side I live in a well built up area.