Feeding Wild Birds.

Have a wren in my garden pops in and out of my shed. Favourite bird of mine they are. Along with the goldies. I was walking old den other day and heard a bird singing like i havent heard before spotted him and for the life of me f****d if i knew what it was... the song sounded like trickling water. Small little bird with a reddish brown chest finch noted

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a few...   Male House Finch.       Female black-chinned hummingbird.       Male Bullock's Oriole.       I'm no photographer

Massive amount of goldfinches around this year

Posted Images

I do. Get alot of goldfinch. Greenfinch. Chaffinch. Long tailed tits. Blue tit. Robins. Nut hatch. Got a Tree creeper coming recently.. woodpeckers quite a few. Better than a doorbell aswell lol

Could you send me a picture of a Greenfinch so I can remember what they look like.

My father is little short of buying his wild bird food in bulk and has 100s of birds coming to his garden and the most common used to be the Greenfinch and now there's none.

Very sad.

:thumbs:

Such a pity they're suffering from that terrible disease as they one of our nicest natives and can be quiet variable in colour too.

Beautiful pics.

I do. Get alot of goldfinch. Greenfinch. Chaffinch. Long tailed tits. Blue tit. Robins. Nut hatch. Got a Tree creeper coming recently.. woodpeckers quite a few. Better than a doorbell aswell lol

Could you send me a picture of a Greenfinch so I can remember what they look like.

My father is little short of buying his wild bird food in bulk and has 100s of birds coming to his garden and the most common used to be the Greenfinch and now there's none.

Very sad.

Plenty of green finches around here Neil just don't get them on my birdtable,we're does you're father buy his food there's a place up here called the corn store they do 3 kilo bags give or take of Niger,sunflower hearts,peanuts, safflower, hemp,at five euro a bag,there aslo cheep with aviary bird seed and if you were buying in bulk you would get it cheaper.

I know the Corn Store well Peter, a good shop. I go to it now and again for the few things that are hard to get elsewhere.

Very sad.

Plenty of green finches around here Neil just don't get them on my birdtable,we're does you're father buy his food there's a place up here called the corn store they do 3 kilo bags give or take of Niger,sunflower hearts,peanuts, safflower, hemp,at five euro a bag,there aslo cheep with aviary bird seed and if you were buying in bulk you would get it cheaper.

I know the Corn Store well Peter, a good shop. I go to it now and again for the few things that are hard to get elsewhere.

It's a great shop and there cheap as chips.

I feed them mainly in the winter. House finches, lesser and American goldfinches, black headed grosbeaks, pinyon jays on the feeders. I buy 40lb bags of black oil sunflower seeds for around a tenner. Winter I have to watch the dogs when I let them out in the yard. We have golden and bald eagles that will go for pot shots if you're not careful. I never get bored of watching the ospreys teach us anglers how to fish while we're dicking around on the banks of the reservoir with rod and line.

Summer I tend to leave them to it unless we have a nearby natural disaster! I have a huge honeysuckle outside the window and it's full of hummingbirds between May and August.

• Like 2

I feed them mainly in the winter. House finches, lesser and American goldfinches, black headed grosbeaks, pinyon jays on the feeders. I buy 40lb bags of black oil sunflower seeds for around a tenner. Winter I have to watch the dogs when I let them out in the yard. We have golden and bald eagles that will go for pot shots if you're not careful. I never get bored of watching the ospreys teach us anglers how to fish while we're dicking around on the banks of the reservoir with rod and line.

Summer I tend to leave them to it unless we have a nearby natural disaster! I have a huge honeysuckle outside the window and it's full of hummingbirds between May and August.

Have you any pics Chris.

• Like 1
On 10/19/2017 at 07:16, peterhunter86 said:

Have you any pics Chris.

Here's a few...

Male House Finch.

Female black-chinned hummingbird.

Male Bullock's Oriole.

I'm no photographer. :laugh:

I can dig for a few more later but I'm heading out to work. :thumbs:

Edited by ChrisJones
  • Like 3

Greenfinches a rarity round here but make up for them with loads of tree sparrows. Had 5 nestboxes with them in this year.

Have House Sparrows in the garden but a flock of Tree Sparrows around my fowl pens and plenty of Yellow Hammers too, lovely to see.

• Like 3