• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to work part time in a working men's club when I was a young lad in the 80'sand 90's it was some spot.   Every Saturday we'd do big pots of bodice and crobeens, lads used be mad for them.  

if you come this side of the river mate have a look at the three horse shoes in frampton on Severn, it's like walking in someone's house, most evenings the men play guitars and the women sing there is

Wouldnt matter what my local laid on , most of the regulars are to engrossed in betting on there mobiles.. The art of conersations dead sadly

Posted Images

Hard to find decent pubs in London now, they're either closing down turned into gastro pubs or full of hipster twats! When my mates sold their pub in Camden, all the locals started saying don't close, community asset etc, so he said well how come none of you tight feckers used to come in for a drink

Hmm pies and pastry's hot behind the bar, long valley pub in cork, they would make you a sandwich from behind bar cut the ham in front of you and pour you a pint sadly all gone now I'm told.

The Long Valley is still there and still doing there thick doorstep sandwiches.

Hmm pies and pastry's hot behind the bar, long valley pub in cork, they would make you a sandwich from behind bar cut the ham in front of you and pour you a pint sadly all gone now I'm told.

That's good to know, has the high b changed at all

That's good to know, has the high b changed at all

It's still there as well, it hasn't changed either. The owner died a few years ago, his daughter is running it now.

• Like 1

I used to work part time in a working men's club when I was a young lad in the 80'sand 90's it was some spot.

Every Saturday we'd do big pots of bodice and crobeens, lads used be mad for them.

They played rings, darts, dominoes and cards (45, Don and porker). They used to run buses to Cork GAA matches, have days out, did turkey and ham draws at Christmas, all that kind of stuff.

Every Saturday night there was music, different bands, but they all played the same music, some of those songs are ingrained in my memory, I can't get them out of my head. That would be the women's night out and the women would be all dressed up and even the men would make an effort some wearing shirts and ties.

The customers were a mixed bunch from University Professors and successful professionals to lads that never went to school or worked a day in their lives. But they were all equal in that place.

One thing I noticed the well educated lads were useless at cards compared to the ordinary workers, they were no way cute playing.

Thinking about it now it must have been their fondness for the drink ( a kind way of saying they were alcoholics in Ireland) that brought them together.

There used to be some craic there, some ball hopping and slagging.

As it was a club they could open on Christmas day and Good Friday the only two days in Ireland when pubs are closed. You'd think drink was going out of fashion, they'd come from all over the city and they'd be ten deep at the bar for the few hours you'd be open, mental stuff.

They were some characters, a lot of them are gone now, God be good to them.

I often said I'd write a book on the place but no one would believe the stories, haha.

Edited to add, sorry about the long post, I got a bit carried away.

• Like 4

The only local amenity here is the pub......

.....which seems more interested in advertising "braised lamb shank in red wine jus", so I think I'll swerve it - besides that I refuse to pay 4 quid for a pint of John Smiths or Fosters !

.....which seems more interested in advertising "braised lamb shank in red wine jus", so I think I'll swerve it - besides that I refuse to pay 4 quid for a pint of John Smiths or Fosters !

Too bad blackbriar my first consideration in moving or holiday got to be the right kind of pub within walking distance but I am a bit of a piss head.:)

Too bad blackbriar my first consideration in moving or holiday got to be the right kind of pub within walking distance but I am a bit of a piss head.:)

Truth be told, a night out at the pub is out of my price range these days, anyway !

• Like 1

Truth be told, a night out at the pub is out of my price range these days, anyway !

It's madness I can't afford more than couple of drinks TBH

I can go down bargain booze an get 4 cans of stowford press for £3.99 or thatchers is £4.25 At the co op

• Like 1

It's madness I can't afford more than couple of drinks TBH

I can go down bargain booze an get 4 cans of stowford press for £3.99 or thatchers is £4.25 At the co op

There's an offy in town that does 4 cans of San Miguel for 4 quid and 6 cans of Blackthorn for £5.50........how can any pub compete with that ?

My daughter lives in London. She tells me you're hard pushed to find a pint anywhere for under a fiver !

• Like 1

I know what your saying its more a social thing for me, also good networking for work.

The other night I had a good chat with the vicar and got permission to metal detect the rectory.

I usually turn up glowing from a few glasses of home brew, so a couple of pints and I'm done.

Also my family has drunk their for a three generations so it feels like home.