Was talking to other half this morning an mentioned not seen traditional pub where they keep the pickled eggs to eat with the crisps,like when I was a kid in Dorset.

She looked at me in a mixture of disgust and awe then started going on about Dorset being backward etc

so when I questioned her London roots an the disgusting shellfish they eat (the sort green lurchers likes)lol

Got me thinking does the nation wide collective on here know of the old fashioned style pubs.

An the mad thing is I don't really like pickled eggs pmsl.

Oh an me an her popped into a trendy drinking establishment in town last night a pint of craft ale an large house white wine was just over £9 ffs

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to work part time in a working men's club when I was a young lad in the 80'sand 90's it was some spot.   Every Saturday we'd do big pots of bodice and crobeens, lads used be mad for them.  

if you come this side of the river mate have a look at the three horse shoes in frampton on Severn, it's like walking in someone's house, most evenings the men play guitars and the women sing there is

Wouldnt matter what my local laid on , most of the regulars are to engrossed in betting on there mobiles.. The art of conersations dead sadly

Posted Images

Not anything really traditional left round here like when I started drinking.All our pubs were dark,smoke filled drinking holes with just a bag of crisps to eat if you were lucky but you could count 100% on some idiot starting a punch up.Now it's mostly crap pretentious "real ale" and fancy food,Coffee drinkers and folks texting instead of having a chat.I do miss the old boozers with character but i'm happy enough if I can sit down to chinwag with pals over some Guinness.

• Like 1

A lot of the old style Dublin pubs give you a bowl of coddle on a cold day.

Had to google coddle lol

The potatoes bacon an sausages sounds nice.

It's lovely pal I do put country vegetable soup in with it never get sick of it you should make one.

Yeah im going too wife's away next week give its rest run then ;)
  • Like 1

Black pudding and cheese on the bar of a Sunday dinner time and if you time it right theres usually a tray of crackling. Nice open fire in the winter. Very easy to lose track of time in this particular pub. Decent cider aswell!

Matt

• Like 1

The pub I drank a lot in when younger was Bennets of Ardcath.

Best pub in Ireland at the time IMO. We often went in for a pint after digging and took the strongdog into the pub with us rather than leave him in the van with the terriers.

Shooting men used to bring their guns in after shooting instead of leaving them in the car and I remember on one opening day a chap took the day of work but spent the day in the pub instead. He ended up giving a lad £40 for a pheasant so he could prove to the wife he was shooting.

A freshly shot deer was brought into it another Sunday morning for the owner to get his bragging rights. We B-B-Qed it a few night later out the back of the pub and everyone had some venison.

In Britain I always found the nicest friendly pubs were in Wales. Great folk and have I spelt it correctly, Cawl, was bloody lovely especially after a days hunting.