40 Yard Droop!

Hi all, just been having a practice with new to me hw97.

25 yards tight group above aiming point , 35 yards pellets tight group surrounding aim point.

40 yards foot below aiming point, all done with Bisley Magnums.

You did say change to a lighter pellet but not been shopping yet, would this help with this droop?

Cheers.

Would not all depend on one's zero distance in relation to working distances. So best pellet light or heavy is the one to use. So if shooting between Fifteen to max Forty Yards - Meters than best pellet and zero for that distance one is happy with for rifle. Having one of those days today, my mind is playing tricks with me so if all crap i am sue I will be told so in a considerate way.

Totally B.S just-A-snap, snap, twat and Renos I class as fine and in the bounds of considerate.

All the very best for one and all

Edited by just-A-snap

bisley mags will shoot well under power out of your spring gun. bisley mags 10..10.5 ft lbs if your gun is shooting say jsb express at 11.5 .. 12 ft lbs in 177 , 22 maybe wores . A lighter pellet will help you out a lot . you need to chrono your gun maybe . using chair gun it says to me with what you say your gun could be shooting at 3 ft lbs or less . if at 20 yards your tight group is 8 inchs or more above your aim piont . giving not quite a foot drop at 40 yards . are you sure you are not shooting a crossbow

Edited by barrywhite

Some thing is not right even with bis mags you should not have a drop of a foot

yes bis mags are far to heavy for a spring rifle and even more so in 22 but a drop of a foot at 40yrds should not happen

is the rifle twanging at all

is it dieseling

and is it making a grinding noise when you cock it (this could suggest a snapped spring)

if it is as you say fitted with a v,mach kit then at 40yrds you should have no bother at all in putting pellet on pellet in the bull every time and even out to longer ranges 50,,,60,,,70 yrds

iv shot these rifles for years and are capable of a lot more than we think

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Bisley Magnums are heavy at 21 gr. I use AA field Diabolos, they're 16gr. I buy them 10 tins at a time and the quality is always very good with an extremely low percentage of bent skirted pellets.and I find they suit my AA S410 better than others.

Ok all new to this , made a cock up with my targets. They should read,

25yards 1" above

35yards 2" below

40yards 5" below aim point.

hopefully fresh pellets then zero again.

apologies from me for been crap!

ps. does this mean my gun doesn't have a broken spring?

Just the wrong pellet i think . but i had a v mach kit in my .177 and the spring was bent ,giving low power . This was the second v-mach spring i have seen like it , a local RFD showed me another one from a 97

Like i said try AA fields , superdomes , JSB express , H&N FTT, Falcon accuracy plus Are a good start

Ok all new to this , made a cock up with my targets. They should read,

25yards 1" above

35yards 2" below

40yards 5" below aim point.

hopefully fresh pellets then zero again.

apologies from me for been crap!

ps. does this mean my gun doesn't have a broken spring?

Seems "about right" to me that. My zero is 28 yards with trophies... inch high at 21 and they'll drop an inch at 35 easy and 1 1/2 -2 at 40. If your using magnums... they are like bolders and will drop like a stone at 40 yards.

Mine is only doing 10.1 ish though.

It's a .22. Think everyone was saying lighter pellet!

I am resting on a post while I feel I can get some confidence up to start and stand.

Ok, with your rifle zeroed at 35 yards with magnums you will have a high point in the trajectory, thats what you're seeing at 25 yards. At 35 yards the pellet is already dropping fast, by the time you get to 40 yards you're hitting way low. Pellets don't travel in a straight line unfortunately, they start to drop as soon as they leave the barrel, the heavier the pellet the worse the drop.

Switch to lighter pellets and rezero at about 27 yards, then you'll have to learn your aimpoints for closer or further distances.

Er except they do not start to drop as soon as they leave the barrel, they actually fly in an arc. Say the rifle is a .22 and you have it zeroed at 25 metres from muzzle to 25 metres the pellet is firing in an upward flight path, at 25 metres it has reached the height of the trajectory, from 25 metres onwards it is then falling....

Edited by secretagentmole

MOST RIFLES FITTED WITH A V,MACH KIT WILL BE OVER THE 12 LIMIT MOST SIT AT 13,AND A HALF LOL

SO A HEAVY PELLET WILL BE OK BUT UNLESS YOU HAVE FAC MOST WILL REMOVE THE V,MACH POWER WASHERS AND IF THAT DOSE NOT DO THE JOB THEN THEY HAVE TO REMOVE A COIL OR TWO FROM THE SPRING .

IF I HAD NOT SEEN YOUR POST ON YOUR COCK UP I WOULD OF SAY,D MAY BE MORE THAN TWO COILS WERE REMOVED .

TRY THE JSB EXACT JUMBOS 15,89GR ALL MY 97,S LOVED THEM AND THEY HIT HARD REAL HARD .

IF YOU WANT ME TO SEND YOU A FEW TO TRY GIS A PM WITH YOUR ADDY AND POST CODE

THIS WAY YOU CAN TRY BEFORE YOU BUY .

ATVBJIMMY :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

It's a .22. Think everyone was saying lighter pellet!

I am resting on a post while I feel I can get some confidence up to start and stand.

Ok, with your rifle zeroed at 35 yards with magnums you will have a high point in the trajectory, thats what you're seeing at 25 yards. At 35 yards the pellet is already dropping fast, by the time you get to 40 yards you're hitting way low. Pellets don't travel in a straight line unfortunately, they start to drop as soon as they leave the barrel, the heavier the pellet the worse the drop.

Switch to lighter pellets and rezero at about 27 yards, then you'll have to learn your aimpoints for closer or further distances.

Er except they do not start to drop as soon as they leave the barrel, they actually fly in an arc. Say the rifle is a .22 and you have it zeroed at 25 metres from muzzle to 25 metres the pellet is firing in an upward flight path, at 25 metres it has reached the height of the trajectory, from 25 metres onwards it is then falling....

Completely wrong Mole, it appears that the pellet rises but actually it's an illusion, by adjusting the scope you alter the sightline to interact with the trajectory of the pellet. Basic physics. Gravity acts on the pellet as soon as it leaves the barrel and pulls it downward. Back to school Mole. Start quoting and correcting when you know what you're talking about.

Oh dear Timotei, why then do you have a pimary zero, which is where the pellet first crosses the centre point on the scope, continues to rise, then falls back to the secondary zero point, then falls continuously, it is an arc!