Old Pic

Thanks Rebel.

Dubious description because the Border looked like a Border 100 years ago but if the author says they're Borders then who am I to argue.

But my guess would be they're more Border / Lakeland.

JMHO.

Who am i to argue lol

• Like 1

The description caught my eye as well. Is it possible that the type might have been known as borders locally as a kind of catch all for that type.

The Duke being a hound man might not have bee as well up on his terriers, another possibility?

Who knows?

I wonder do any lads on here know the man in the pic or had heard of him?

Thanks Rebel.

Dubious description because the Border looked like a Border 100 years ago but if the author says they're Borders then who am I to argue.

But my guess would be they're more Border / Lakeland.

JMHO.

back then id say a type produced from and worked on the engish scottish border was a border terrier not the kc type that you see in the show ring today with its over exagerated features.
  • Like 2

The description caught my eye as well. Is it possible that the type might have been known as borders locally as a kind of catch all for that type.

The Duke being a hound man might not have bee as well up on his terriers, another possibility?

Who knows?

I wonder do any lads on here know the man in the pic or had heard of him?

You're spot on, the book having been written by a hound man who probably wouldn't know his terrier types or he was told Border / Lakeland and just remembered Border.

But those terriers are of the type that were regularly called Border / Lakelands, even over here in Ireland.

As for his dress sense ? Most old farmers and hunting men around here still dress like that.

Not as up to date as track suits and Dunne Stores wellies but probably more comfortable to be out in in all weathers.

• Like 2