Thoroughly Delighted With My Webley Fx2000 .22

Let me get straight to the point. Jesus this rifle is SERIOUSLY amazingly good. :icon_eek: I mean it is magnificent. It handles and shoots absolutely beautiful. Despite being left handed and this is a right-handed gun. There are no problems with the grip.

And Christ, what accuracy! I've read on the net that these old Webleys were good guns but, I had no idea they were THIS good!

Helen being Helen wouldn't let me have the bloody thing out of the Gunshop in Woodhall Spa till my 60th Birthday had passed. But today, despite the high winds over my garden, I've bought another charging bottle with the adaptor fitted and that's that. I can't be arsed changing from Daystate to Webley and all that faff, so it's a complete kit.

Rifle, Tasco 6-24x40 scope, Whisper silencer and charging bottle and adaptor = £475 squid the lot. :hmm:

I had the rifle out in my hands for the first time and set to work. It came with a Tasco 6-24X40mm target scope and I set up with that. The rifle itself is in really lovely nick for its age.

Webley air rifles were always superbly well finished and this PCP lives up to that reputation. It's Beech with a lovely fully mellowed and aged rich deep figure of grain and very nice diamond chequering to grip and the rather pleasingly-rounded and chunky forestock. There's just a few minor nicks and light scrapes on the cheek-rest side (how come, if your mush is resting there??? Oh well) but the rifle as a whole is really lovely.

Someone has really looked after it and is probably bitterly regretting selling it right now. I'm never going to part with this beauty!

Filled it up to 190-bar and out for a pellet test and zero up.

It's putting Air Arms Field 5.52mm pellets (first pellet choice for test) clean through the hole of the first pellet at 25 metres range. An eight shot string from the magazine just bangs through the hole and leaves a slightly larger pellet hole! Then I was knocking out the last few apples left on my trees at 45 metres away. Trigger is set-up perfectly.

And it's full on-the-dot powerful.

It's going to be brilliant on roosting and feeding Woodpigeons and corvids in the woods and fields on my shoot.

There's another .22 shorter carbine-version FX2000 going for sale at MGR Guns of Woodhall Spa for about £350. I'd go bag it if I had the money for two!

Jamie/Rez, you'd be more than welcome to pop over to my cottage and see what you think and help me post some pics of it up here. The lads would like to see this rifle and an unbiased review of its performance I'm sure.

Philpot, Jimmy you can roll down here whenever you like too!

Seriously I think this one might tune up beautifully on my FAC. :hmm: And I'd love an RWS Excalibur version to go with it!

Cheers chaps.

Simon

• Like 10

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let me get straight to the point. Jesus this rifle is SERIOUSLY amazingly good. I mean it is magnificent. It handles and shoots absolutely beautiful. Despite being left handed and this is a right-ha

Not that difficult if you know where to look Mark?

Thanks Jimmy and everyone of you good lads for your responses.   Aye Jimmy, I'm coming round to PCPs with a renewed interest. But I am forever a spring rifle man first and foremost. Or more accurate

Posted Images

Nice one Simon

just need to get out with her now and start bagging up .

if i dont get down before the wedding ill have a look at her then mate

O,,,,,and ill be giving the PS the once over to just to make sure your looking after her right :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

all our love to you both

jimmy/nicola :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

PS,,,YOUR BECOMING QUITE THE PCP MAN NOW ARE YOU NOT :D:laugh::tongue2:

• Like 1

Good post pianoman. So so many babies have been thrown out with the bathwater, easy to handle or just more moden is not in my book better than some old Babies. Good to see you so enthusiastic with the Webley and it performance, but as good as it is, it also has to have that finger on the trigger.

Good on you Helen and all the very best for you and Simon.

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 1

Nice one Simon

just need to get out with her now and start bagging up .

if i dont get down before the wedding ill have a look at her then mate

O,,,,,and ill be giving the PS the once over to just to make sure your looking after her right :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

all our love to you both

jimmy/nicola :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

PS,,,YOUR BECOMING QUITE THE PCP MAN NOW ARE YOU NOT :D:laugh::tongue2:

Thanks Jimmy and everyone of you good lads for your responses.

Aye Jimmy, I'm coming round to PCPs with a renewed interest. But I am forever a spring rifle man first and foremost. Or more accurately, a classical hunting rifle man. And Helen's been enjoying shooting it today too. She's a bloody natural shot, honestly. Never fired a gun in her life and she sets to work, lying prone down and hitting some very tight groups within a 2p size disc at 25 metres. And she's enjoying herself doing it.

Now she says, "Hmm, why don't you get one of these for yourself"!

She sends her love to you and Nicola mate.

The thing for me is, an air rifle should look, perform, handle and feel like a proper rifle should. I love classical elegance of line, rich, deep blueing and a finely cut gunstock from a beautiful figured grain of wood, that brings everything sweet to aim from the shoulder. And is a joy and satisfaction to own and admire when you're not out shooting with it.

The Air Arms Pro Sport has it in spades, Weihrauch HW80 and HW77 has it, Daystate Regal has it and this Webley has it all too. I can't get on with the looks of bottle-fed guns like Theoben Rapids, DS Airwolf and so on, despite their amazing levels of accuracy performance. They just look a bit too hefty forward of the trigger for my taste. But it's a personal thing really.

But, this good old Webley puts pellets through a single tidy hole all day long so, how much better does a good gun need to be? And i love this little bolt action it has. Cycles sweetly and with a satsifying bit of clunk-click!

And Matt you are spot on mate. Nothing beats finding a new-to-you rifle turns out to be a stunning peach of a performer when you start to give it a good work-out downrange.

And it's a joy just to have a Webley back in the collection too.

All the very best Gentlemen.

Simon

• Like 5

I think I`d better stay away from my RFD for a spell after reading this :laugh: .

I had an Excalibre on my mind last year but finding one in .177 was like finding a chicken with teeth.

So that`s Falcon, Excalibre and Webley Fx 2000 to have a hold of. :whistling::angel:

" Only saying like"

Great write ups Simon, cheered me up for work :good:

• Like 2

Im not having you lot on lads ,,,you want to see this man shoot a air rifle pcp or spring

infact he makes a spring rifle look as good as any hw100 in his hands

in performance and accuracy .

he just makes it look so easy and we know its not

some will argue that its easy to shoot an air rifle yes a pcp any day but there is a skill in shooting a spring rifle

its some thing you learn with practice and a lot of practice .

Those of us that have had the pleasure to stand and watch Simon shoot will know what im on about when i say THIS MAN CAN SHOOT ,

REZ,, the invite has been given mate and if you want to see a real marksman at work

then get your self over to Simon,s and be ready to be amazed I KNOW I WAS

atvbjimmy :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 2

I am thinking that we more or less are all competent, good, excellent drivers, as we are still here and not inside doing things for here Majesty for some sweets and tobacco. So my thinking would logically, for me that is assume that it would again more or less apply with Air Rifles. Be it PCP or Springers "competent, good, excellent"

I just wonder from all of us here on The Hunting Life, that is all of us here on The Hunting Life. How many could sit in an F1 Racing Car and make off with it without stalling or killing someone or ones self. I also think that of PCP and Springer Air Rifles.

It take all those hours one has spent practising shooting for one to obtain the skills, and for me most importantly the confidence to squeeze the trigger without thinking. Not all, and again just me talking, would or could shoot any Air Rife be it PCP or Springer with any amount of Competence.

Shooting is only easy to those who are Natural to it or like I would say "most" those who have spent hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades perfecting their Style of shoot. The one that work for them.

So I am really sorry to say this mac, but just for my way of thinking, I do not think that shooting any kind of, Bang Bang or Air Rifle is easy for all.

All one has to do is go and see any intake in the armed forces to see those who are rejected for not meeting even the minimum marksmanship requirements. Any club or HFT shoot to see the good, the bad and the ugly.

I would have defiantly liked to have seen Elvis sing George Formby Leaning on a Lamppost, On A Mountain Stood A Lady, or Fog on the Tyne. I think not a good rendering would be heard, not one we would be comfortable with being British and knowing how they should sound. A crap rendering for my money and that is being more than polite would come from Elvis if he did not practice and practise them, and then I would defiantly say nothing like the kind of standard for the songs.

I respect all who can shoot any kind of Rifle competently, like you all, I know the hard work it takes to obtain or like myself Re Acquire some kind of competency and self Confidence when shooting.

All the very best for one and all

Edited by just-A-snap
  • Like 1

I think I`d better stay away from my RFD for a spell after reading this :laugh: .

I had an Excalibre on my mind last year but finding one in .177 was like finding a chicken with teeth.

So that`s Falcon, Excalibre and Webley Fx 2000 to have a hold of. :whistling::angel:

" Only saying like"

Not that difficult if you know where to look Mark?

post-94518-0-91936000-1508336922_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

" Only saying like"

Not that difficult if you know where to look Mark

That looks like the thing that gave me a nosh about 8 years ago round the back of some pub in Mansfield :D

• Like 3

" Only saying like"

Not that difficult if you know where to look Mark

That looks like the thing that gave me a nosh about 8 years ago round the back of some pub in Mansfield :D

Yeah, it does look like a bloke doesn`t it :bad::rofl:

• Like 2