Camera Recommendations Please

Need some advice on buying a camera.

The Mrs loves taking pictures of wildlife, plants and general scenery, but she has always had crap phone cameras to use.

Seen as it's her birthday soon, I want to get her a very good quality camera to pursue her hobby further, she is actually quite good at stalking bees and dragonflies for close ups, so a good camera can only help surely.

Now here's the hard part, she isn't very tech minded, so it needs to be easier to use than a space ship.

Thoughts and suggestions please.

Not sure it's relevant, but she is getting a telescope as well, so if there are any combined packages about......

I would spent most of my money on the very best lenses my pocket could afford if going for a DSLR. The camera itself is just a box and all will all do the job if you know about photography, if not then most will do a good job on auto most of the time within it's capability.

Good luck and all the very best Rapid

• Like 1

A lot depends on budget but most modern DSLR are more than capable of taking quality pics but as just-A-snap says a quality lens will make a big difference to quality and price. For example a decent 3rd party Marco or close up lens will set you back over £300, and a decent wildlife lens up to 400mm even more. There are also some very good mirrorless systems about but I don't know much about these. I am sure you might even find a compact camera that could work and it will be better than a phone and a lot cheaper than a DSLR and a couple of lenses.

I suggest you work out a budget a take a trip to a camera shop and see what fits in her hands best, DSLR are bigger and heavier which might put her off taking it out often and that is the best way to get used to it and improve. There is also a lot between a DSLR and a compact and any decent shop will help.

I spent a almost a couple of years just using the auto mode on a basic Canon DSLR but wanted to improve so went on a £50 training course and it transformed everything and I have never used auto since and have control over my camera and the type of pictures I take.

Here is a good price comparison site http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

• Like 1

I buy second hand, some great deals to have off ebay etc. A great dslr to buy second hand is the nikon d7100, if i was buying a body and one lens i would buy a second hand d7100 and a 35mm f1.8 dx lens. You can learn all aspects of photography with this set up the 1.8 lens being good for low light, action shots etc, that lens is also a good lens for everyday shots etc, should be similar to what your eye can see. When you get the jest of setting the camera up for different situations you can then buy a macro lens or a longer lens for wildlife etc. Just my own opinion mate, hope you get sorted.

• Like 2

Now I could not afford a DSLR and a good lens with fishing ferreting shooting etc etc if you know what I mean. So in the end went for a bridge camera "Lumix FZ150" it gives you 24 times zoom which I think is about equivalent to 600mm lens. It a pretty good shot and easy to use, this camera main draw for me is a slight delay in taking a shot. This camera has been supper seeded now and my brother in law has one has a light sensor chip closer to a DSLR and takes a cracking shot with less delay.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
  • Like 1

One thing I hate on a camera is a delay! Always miss the shot you're after with them.

Its a bit frustrating but the newer one is better. But its the 24 time zoom I like, could not even buy a lens for what I paid for the camera. Though it might be worth a look.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

OK, if you are not going to be printing anything from A2 and above and more to the point any printing of lager prints or printing at all. Then if it was me I would not waste my money and just get any basic non "Professional, Semi Professional Camera "and lens" that is able to withstand hard and abusive use, "not take better images" I would spend more on a good tripod.

I personally cannot see any point if not just to say look at the camera and lens that is dangling from my neck.

I defi anyone to tell me the camera and any lens used for images shown on a computer or come to that a print, be they of shallow or large depth of sharp focus.

It is all digital now, and all that one is able to do with what comes with it. One will never be able to spot a good Photoshop technicians work, and that is a fact.

Like myself I am sue that many here know and have taken images on a Film Plate Camera as a Pro or keen Armature. I for one do not know of any shot lost from shutter lag, only from buffer over run with those digital burst shots, something I have never encountered so i do not feel l have the competency to talk about.

All I know is in today's world of photography and with any time in photography one must say as one always did, what ever works for you. Mobile phone with a Teleconverter attachment will work just as good.

In the end all is personnel and in your case, your money and choice. Once more good luck and many a good days enjoyment for your wife whatever camera she gets. Like with Hunting, stealth is one's biggest weapon if not going to kill from a million miles away.

All in just my opinion that is.

All the very best

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

She is now looking for a tripod and a remote shutter switch for it, she is loving it, even if a bit baffled by most of the settings, looking forward to her getting the hang of it as she can take some cracking pics just with her phone.

we are very very lucky where we live As we have a plethora of nature around us, mice, voles, the amount of songbirds is unreal, birds of prey of all sizes from screech owl to buzzards, and everything in between.

we also have a wild flower meadow so lots of plants and insects in there, a pond full of dragon flies and newts, pheasants and deer on the lawn, very lucky indeed.

her underlying ambition is to make some sort of part time business from it, but god only knows how she can make money from taking photos, for now it's just the pure enjoyment she gets from it.

• Like 1

She will win in the end mate. I had no idea at all when i started, took months for it to sink into this head, watched loads of videos on youtube, over and over again, Aperture, iso, shutter speed, focus points, white balance, bokeh etc its a mine field, one day it all starts to sink in then you are on your way. Best thing i ever did keeping at it, good luck mate.

• Like 2