3 More Today

Three more bucks from the black herd this morning. It was a bit misty early on so I wasn't sure if I would get a shot or not but as the sun rose it cleared enough. Left the truck and walked along one side of the valley , seeing a small group across the other side. Dropped the pricket with the 243 from about 300 yards and the rest ran up to the woods on the right. You can just see him in the landscape picture.I knew there was a meadow beyond and they might come out there so I crossed the valley further down and as I came to the tree line the first buck was staring straight at me from about 80 yards so he fell where he stood. At the shot the other buck came out from some trees to my right not overly worried but at a decent trot and not giving me a shot until he reached cover on the left of the field about 120 yards out when he stopped and turned to look back. That was a big mistake as I was able to stop him too . The pricket weighed 33kg before dressing and is now in my own freezer. The bucks were 56 and 58.

post-69966-0-84825200-1508104201_thumb.jpg

post-69966-0-79320600-1508104217_thumb.jpg

post-69966-0-80234600-1508104239_thumb.jpg

post-69966-0-55707700-1508104256_thumb.jpg

post-69966-0-99152200-1508104295_thumb.jpg

post-69966-0-71314200-1508104312_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Well done mate , I haven't got into any this week in five outings . The rut is on big time and they don't seem to be coming out till well after dark , the bucks are grunting all day but are deep in the woods . Obviously there are loads of out of season doe's all over the place ..?

Do you not hang them in the jacket ? .

Well done mate , I haven't got into any this week in five outings . The rut is on big time and they don't seem to be coming out till well after dark , the bucks are grunting all day but are deep in the woods . Obviously there are loads of out of season doe's all over the place ..?

Do you not hang them in the jacket ? .

I do normally but I wanted that little pricket cooled and frozen as soon as possible for a couple of reasons ?

The bucks are just warming up now and getting noisy but also getting stupid and just wandering about a bit aimlessly at times. So just making it a bit too easy☺

Give them another week and they won't be standing still long enough to get a shot off

• Like 1