Drop Shotting Small Jelly Lures For Zander And Perch

Now not having fished for a good number of years, i had a voice in my head tell me that i needed to catch a Zander from the local cut. might have been the dodgy chinky or perhaps the magners played a part, who knows. With no idea about zander what so ever, i consulted the oracle, otherwise known as youtube. It was here that i first encountered soft lures, ultra light rods and the methods used to fish them. A few clicks of the mouse later and the tackle i required was ordered from fleabay. A few days later the gear arrived and i set it up as per youtube, i walked miles up and down the cut that day and thrashed the water to a foam, did i catch anything you are thinking, did i bollox is the answer.

The next morning i tied myself a new rig based on a string of mackerel feathers but with 3 jellies all linked with flurocarbon and tied direct to braid, on the bottom of this was a 3.5g dropshot.

this method proved itself within 15 minutes my first ever zander was on the bank, a monster it was, well sort of, but it was over a pound.

i went on to catch a couple more about the same size and began to realise that i quite enjoyed this type of fishing, mooching around casting into all the little hiding places on the cut, i dont think i will ever return to full on course fishing again but i might just try for a monster zander later in the year. again i have no idea how to do this but if i do the complete opposite of what the chaps on youtube do then i may be in with a chance.

Tight lines and dont let your maggot get chiiled.

Edited by beamish78
  • Like 10

Drop shoting, good call. Never really tried casting using the drop shot method, only used it vertically from a boat or platform.

As you said do the complete opposite to the youtube chaps and you'll do ok :laugh::thumbs:

Edited to say; I've never caught a Zander :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I had a go with soft baits and jig heads this year after a mate showed them to me. I'm totally hooked. Caught roach, perch, chub, pike, bass, wrasse and pollack all on the same set up. I'd like to add mackerel and trout to that lift but no luck yet. I've caught fish I places I'd never have thought to even look before!

• Like 5

Yep love jiggging up the canal never no what youll hook. I like the big perch myself. f****d if i can get used to tying the fluro to the braid though !!!

uni knot is the easiest i have found, double on the braid to fluro. failing that a small swivel and a couple of half blood knots lol

Yep love jiggging up the canal never no what youll hook. I like the big perch myself. f****d if i can get used to tying the fluro to the braid though !!!

uni knot is the easiest i have found, double on the braid to fluro. failing that a small swivel and a couple of half blood knots lol

Im new to knots lol cheers

i bet you had a window seat on the special bus when you were at school :laugh::laugh:

i bet you had a window seat on the special bus when you were at school :laugh::laugh:

Nah mate was waiting round corner for you to go work so could pop in and see your mrs :laugh:

• Like 1