First Pup - Skye

Hi Guys,

So the exciting time has come and I have finally got myself my first pup.

A chap in the next village was selling a litter of working lurchers, and they looked like what I was looking for.

Sire is GreyxWhippet

Dam is BeddyxWhippet

I've not had a working dog before so Just thought I would post some photos and let you guys see her, and also invite any advise from the older and wiser in the lurcher world.

Hoping to get her out on the lamp and a bit of mooching/bushing when she is older. just letting her grow and develop a bit for now.

Basic training is going ok. she is now about 15ish weeks and has a great recall, unless there is distractions on the park eg other dogs/people. she comes eventually but only when she decides and not when I whistle, otherwise she comes back first time nearly every time if there's nobody else on the park. any ideas for getting her to ignore the distractions and come straight back?

Down and sit are great in the house, but outside she only does it if I have a treat and even then she sometimes just ignores me ( really frustrating when I know she understands what I'm asking!)

Heel, is coming along well too, she will heel for 10-15m then forget she is at heel and wonder off if I'm not quick to treat and get her to stay.

The retrieve is the pain though, she will fetch a slipper/ball of socks in the house and bring it back. but again outside she just runs around with the ball of socks and she comes back and runs straight past me and circles me. if she does come all the way in outside she often drops about 2m short and runs in for the reward. I don't chase her for it, and often she will return to me and have left the ball 20m away

Not sure what you guys think about this at her age, as she is my first pup I'm not sure if this is good for her age or not.

Any tips for correcting these issues would be great, as I'm sure many of you have faced the same or similar situations in your own pups.

Thanks again, enjoy the photos (hope they load ok)

Brecon3

post-15052-0-00794100-1507731616_thumb.jpg

post-15052-0-99062900-1507731635_thumb.jpg

post-15052-0-26440200-1507731676_thumb.jpg

post-15052-0-32985000-1507731685_thumb.jpg

post-15052-0-08549400-1507731696_thumb.jpg

post-15052-0-53768900-1507731706_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

She is just been a pup she will grow out of her bad habits my whippet was the same when she was a pup try not to get frustrated with her all she will want to do is run round like a nutter and explore because every thing is new to her good luck with her am sure she will smash the bunnies for you in good time

Sounds to me that your schooling the pup with a cane and not with fun ... she is a baby that wants to do baby things like running around meeting new people dogs smelling new things .. the world is a fantastic place to a young whelp where as the house is boring so the pup will do what you ask because there is no other stimulants to occupy her ... ease up let her be a pup don't let her run riot and do everything she wants but just take training a bit gentler and bit more fun you will both benefit from it ......

• Like 3

Sounds like im expecting her to go from zero to hero before she has grown up. thanks for the advise guys, really appriciate it. as i say , first pup so im just finding my own feet with it, just as she is.

Is treating everything a good idea? i.e. positive reinforcement. i don't want her to just work for the food reward.

Is it possible to bush with a single dog? any kind fellas out there fancy letting a novice tag along for a bit of bushing / lamping / ferreting? (obviously id leave the pup at home as shes too young) but just so I can see how its done? I'm based on the oxon/glos border

• Like 1

Sounds like im expecting her to go from zero to hero before she has grown up. thanks for the advise guys, really appriciate it. as i say , first pup so im just finding my own feet with it, just as she is.

Is treating everything a good idea? i.e. positive reinforcement. i don't want her to just work for the food reward.

Is it possible to bush with a single dog? any kind fellas out there fancy letting a novice tag along for a bit of bushing / lamping / ferreting? (obviously id leave the pup at home as shes too young) but just so I can see how its done? I'm based on the oxon/glos border

I'm going to be doing a big ferreting job up your way soon you can tag along if you want ... but you will be the bitch so you will have to net all the shitty holes lol ....

• Like 5

Good luck with the pup brecon.

You seem keen enough.

Keep asking as many questions as You've got.

There's plenty of very knowledgeable people on here

Who will be more than happy to answer them for you.

My advice would be grow a bond with the pup a strong bond

Which takes time.and once that bond is in place the pup will want to pleass you to the best of it's ability.

All the best king....