How Much Collie Is To Much

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally,...I like all the various herding composites, been around them since I was very young,..and now I am very old   As for their usage,..well,..only a fool keeps a dog that cannot do the job

What I've found over the years is that people who don't like collie in a dog normally struggle with training them ... something to do with the dog being more intelligent than them lol .......

For me they suit me, I like there temperament the way they work there looks i.e. statue, coat, feet, bone, head, and brains, all these I rate very highly in a dog, has I,ve got older my thoughts an

Posted Images

I want to try a reverse 3/4 as my next mutt or Even a lurcher x collie something that looks colliefied and would be mistaken as a collie by the uneducated, something along the lines of seskus bitch

• Like 3

I have seen some very good dogs bred from putting mixed blood lurchers back to pure collies. Very few have enough pace to be out and out coursing dogs but they normally are versatile good all round hard workers without some of the hyperactive qualities that sons first crosses can exhibit

• Like 2

I want to try a reverse 3/4 as my next mutt or Even a lurcher x collie something that looks colliefied and would be mistaken as a collie by the uneducated, something along the lines of seskus bitch

by many accounts that litter that Sesku's Gwen came from turned out some belters.

• Like 2

For me they suit me, I like there temperament the way they work there looks i.e. statue, coat, feet, bone, head, and brains, all these I rate very highly in a dog, has I,ve got older my thoughts and opinions of the lurcher game has changed I,m not bothered about catching big numbers nowadays been there done that, I still love going out and working my dogs which are Dan, and my pure collie bitch Liz, my old bitch Gwen is now retired, I use these two dogs or mooching, bushing, ferreting and lamping, I can take my dogs anywhere and no one gives us a second glance and that suits me they ain't much to look ät but they suit me, in my opinion I think the quality of lurchers being bred nowadays has slipped to many are being bred off show dogs for looks when all these dogs have to offer on their CVs are Championship wins, and another thing people are obsessed with is speed, to many lurchers being bred nowadays look like pure greyhounds, not for me, but I suppose it's each to their own.Regards Collie John.

• Like 10

For me they suit me, I like there temperament the way they work there looks i.e. statue, coat, feet, bone, head, and brains, all these I rate very highly in a dog, has I,ve got older my thoughts and opinions of the lurcher game has changed I,m not bothered about catching big numbers nowadays been there done that, I still love going out and working my dogs which are Dan, and my pure collie bitch Liz, my old bitch Gwen is now retired, I use these two dogs or mooching, bushing, ferreting and lamping, I can take my dogs anywhere and no one gives us a second glance and that suits me they ain't much to look ät but they suit me, in my opinion I think the quality of lurchers being bred nowadays has slipped to many are being bred off show dogs for looks when all these dogs have to offer on their CVs are Championship wins, and another thing people are obsessed with is speed, to many lurchers being bred nowadays look like pure greyhounds, not for me, but I suppose it's each to their own.Regards Collie John.

I've got to agree with you on that point John. This debate seems to fall into two camps. Those who want to add a turbo charger to a collie, and those who want to put engine management on a greyhound.

• Like 4

I've got to agree with you on that point John. This debate seems to fall into two camps. Those who want to add a turbo charger to a collie, and those who want to put engine management on a greyhound.

fair point :thumbs: , but how clever really as dog got to be to catch a rabbit day or night ,? ive said before my best lurcher ive ever had was a biza = most grey and whippet say 90% , 10% collie, she was brindle 25 in 50 odd lb , looked just like a greyhound . She was good at ferreting in the day good nose , had few day time hares , and good in the lamp had plenty of rabbits and had few foxes all solo, she got injured at 4 year old knee injury , never ran again proper but kept her for 14 years till she died , had 1xs as you know thats Bryn 1x collie x grey , nd Buck 1x gsd x grey, Buck the beter dog of the 2 as a all rounder deff, but if i am honest the bitch was bit better than Buck , not a lot just got the edge on him . if i ever get another lurcher it deff will be a lurcherx lurcher some with drop or wheaten in it, that prob wont have the over sensitve manic fawning temp you get from herding type xs :yes: there not for me they dont suit my personality , so be nice to finish with a dog i can get on with and like and respect :yes:

The miscellaneous Herding breeds have been created over many years, to fulfill a definite need,...

If a man has no need of a pure sheepdog or cattle dog, not much point in keeping one.

Correspondingly,..if a man cannot gel with these highly intelligent canines, then they had best walk different paths :yes:

As for the myriad lurcher hybrids that proport to have some minuscule portion of Collie blood flowing through their veins, but who upon closer inspection, exhibit little recognizable herding dog sagacity or traits,...one wonders just what benefit is gained. :hmm:

For me, unless a Collie Lurcher shows a fair amount of primitive hunting ability and is an easy dog to live with, school and work alongside,...I would just as soon, not fecking bother. I've always kept herding composites and my dogs are certainly not manic or fawning,..far from it :laugh:

Facts are,..you need to have a task for these types to do, they need to be kept busy and not allowed to become stale or bored, this state of mind invariably fecks them up.

It is just the way it is...

For all Herding dogs (and the lurchers derived from them), boredom is the killer... :thumbs:

• Like 4