Dead easy to grow Dido. Done it with both bought to eat bulbs and bought to grow ones. Elephant garlic was a good un. Quite mild in taste but by its size you are a bit more encouraged seeing it grow. A good starter garlic.

Wild garlic is easy enought to collect and grow on BUT only in tubs as it spreads like wildfire, very mild to taste though.

Can't be all wrong then. I just had delivered, from Suttons, 4 different types of garlic. In each net there were 4 bulbs and when I broke them down I had approx 40 cloves of each. Less than £20 and my immediate allotment neighbours all had a few. They don't recommend shop bought garlic but surely that is simply to sell more. Jok.

I would try both. The proper bulbs sound a bit pricey but you can replant the best of the cloves every year then so you only need to buy once. I have had these going for 3 or 4 years

37554820951_fb323d2ff9_c.jpg

I also plant to plant some normal ones from aldi. I see plenty of people are more happy just plonking in normal shop bought ones so we will see

Edited by terryd
  • Like 2

Neil. They are as different as chalk and cheese mate. Look up how many varieties are available and you'll me mightily surprised. The best come from the Isle of Wight and are available from October for planting out. They are a bit like chillies in a sense. Really mild to damned hot. Someone mentioned elephant garlic which you can eat like an apple. Others need a bit more respect. Stick some in a pot and see how you go on. Now' the time and you'll have it to eat in June. Jok.

• Like 1

I've never grown it because it's so cheap and I put it plenty of dishes as well as my fowls water, I love the stuff.

My granny used to say to keep garlic in the house and use it and you'll never be sick, you'll never have friends, but you'll never be sick, LOL.

Cheers.

• Like 2

I've never grown it because it's so cheap and I put it plenty of dishes as well as my fowls water, I love the stuff.

My granny used to say to keep garlic in the house and use it and you'll never be sick, you'll never have friends, but you'll never be sick, LOL.

Cheers.

That's why you'll never get sick, no fecker with their filthy germs will come round your house! Perfect.
  • Like 1