bullit666

Can't Decide On A Fox Calibre

Bit of a barrel burner though?

You could kill a lot of foxes before barrel is burned. Thousands. Target shooting maybe barrel burn but rounds are expensive for putting them on paper. I went to the range and shot 22 cheap rounds to get my eye in but saved the swift for the real action. When I switched from swift to the .270 I only started to learn to adjust after 200 yards. When I got the feel and drop right on the .270 I shot very well but it took time. The swift was just put it on him and it was dead. Remington swift 220 heavy stainless steel fluted barrel with synthetic stock. Man I should of never sold it. I must of had it for nearly 15 year and dragged it through shit but when I sold it that gun was still the same as the day I bought it. Shoot paper with it 🤔Not a chance I thought bad of using 5 or 6 bullets to set it.
Never shot .220 swift, i've just heard that it burns barrels.

Why did you switch from the swift to .270?

had to for deer permit. I kept both for years but wasn't using the swift as I was mainly stalking so I sold it.

If you're getting regular foxes a 250, I'd be think more in the line of the 22-250.......... point and shoot, and a bit of room for error in range estimation. I use 222, as most of my fields 200 yards is the max range, although with 40gr Blitzking it only about 6" of drop at 250.

Throwing a spanner in the works,

an associate of mine plugs Foxes out to 200 meters with a 300BLK and a thermal scope here in Victoria. (Australia)

Apparently a bit of a deadly combo on the farms around him too, Ruger American Rancher 300BLK using lighter projectiles, he does have subsonic loads too, those are used for Wild Dogs and Deer having a heavier projectile, but we can't own suppressors here in Australia.

He owns quite a range of calibers and went from .223 to the 300BLK for the Foxes.

Over here 200 to 350m is more the 22.250 range, another may be .204 Ruger, shoots flat and smashes foxes like the older 17 Remington.

Good luck :drinks:

I use both a .223 and a .17hornet with NV.

I tend to use a caller and a light with the .223. The hornet, on a still night I just walk or sit in a high seat.With Nv they are never going to hear what killed them and the crack is confusing an infra -red torch lights it all perfectly but I tend to dial down the brighnes or you can get a 'sunshine eye' effect.

I once shot 3 foxes at 230 yds one after the other - 40 grain v max. Drop for both is similar -sight at 150 (0). 200 --1" (4 clicks) and at 300 9" drop 36 clicks. Theshot crack I find tends to disorient them and they will for example just run a little and listen - clearly not far enough  !