Can't Decide On A Fox Calibre

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not many people are FORCED to shoot foxes at 250yards average distance, there are commonly ways to get closer or get the fox closer.   I take the occasional opportunist fox out there but generally,

I absolutely love my .22-250 and haven't had any complaints yet lol.

Think about whether you are going to reload or not.   I use a Tikka T3 in .204 ruger with hornady superformance 32g v-max. Great foxing combo IMO.

Posted Images

Maybe I missed it but I can't believe nobody has mentioned .220 swift as it's a seriously effective flat shooting fox gun with the power to humanely dispatch at large distances. I would rate it better than 223 and on a par with 22,250 albeit the swift does not have a large selection or choice of ammo.

Maybe I missed it but I can't believe nobody has mentioned .220 swift as it's a seriously effective flat shooting fox gun with the power to humanely dispatch at large distances. I would rate it better than 223 and on a par with 22,250 albeit the swift does not have a large selection or choice of ammo.

Not seen brass for sale lately.

Bit of a barrel burner though?

You could kill a lot of foxes before barrel is burned. Thousands. Target shooting maybe barrel burn but rounds are expensive for putting them on paper. I went to the range and shot 22 cheap rounds to get my eye in but saved the swift for the real action. When I switched from swift to the .270 I only started to learn to adjust after 200 yards. When I got the feel and drop right on the .270 I shot very well but it took time. The swift was just put it on him and it was dead. Remington swift 220 heavy stainless steel fluted barrel with synthetic stock. Man I should of never sold it. I must of had it for nearly 15 year and dragged it through shit but when I sold it that gun was still the same as the day I bought it. Shoot paper with it ?Not a chance I thought bad of using 5 or 6 bullets to set it.

Not seen brass for sale lately.
Must of just been an Irish thing or latest craze. I don't have it anymore I sold it a couple of year ago.The 22,250 was like its ugly friend but just as good in bed.??? and cheaper.

You could kill a lot of foxes before barrel is burned. Thousands. Target shooting maybe barrel burn but rounds are expensive for putting them on paper. I went to the range and shot 22 cheap rounds to get my eye in but saved the swift for the real action. When I switched from swift to the .270 I only started to learn to adjust after 200 yards. When I got the feel and drop right on the .270 I shot very well but it took time. The swift was just put it on him and it was dead. Remington swift 220 heavy stainless steel fluted barrel with synthetic stock. Man I should of never sold it. I must of had it for nearly 15 year and dragged it through shit but when I sold it that gun was still the same as the day I bought it. Shoot paper with it ?Not a chance I thought bad of using 5 or 6 bullets to set it.

Never shot .220 swift, i've just heard that it burns barrels.

Why did you switch from the swift to .270?

Never shot .220 swift, i've just heard that it burns barrels.

Why did you switch from the swift to .270?

had to for deer permit. I kept both for years but wasn't using the swift as I was mainly stalking so I sold it.

If you're getting regular foxes a 250, I'd be think more in the line of the 22-250.......... point and shoot, and a bit of room for error in range estimation. I use 222, as most of my fields 200 yards is the max range, although with 40gr Blitzking it only about 6" of drop at 250.