Can't Decide On A Fox Calibre

Lots of food for thought. The farmer likes the odd dear so they are a no go.

Near the buildings there is a caravan site the farmer owns so I wouldn't be firing off near there. I'd be further in the valley.

Funny you mention downhill. The farm runs down hill with walls between fields. River is at the very bottom with the woods. Hasn't stopped it being cleared for 308 though. But safety is a big factor.

I think a 223 seems like a happy medium. Does everything just a bit better than the 222.

???? why do think the 223 does it better than the .222? Obviously you have your opinion but after owning both I cannot split them and opted for the .222 everyone to their own I guess

Just the general consensus of some of the guys I shoot with and a lot of fixers. Don't get me wrong the .222 is very popular. The 223 seems that people prefer the weight and slight more power. As well as the rounds being a bit cheaper

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not many people are FORCED to shoot foxes at 250yards average distance, there are commonly ways to get closer or get the fox closer.   I take the occasional opportunist fox out there but generally,

I absolutely love my .22-250 and haven't had any complaints yet lol.

Think about whether you are going to reload or not.   I use a Tikka T3 in .204 ruger with hornady superformance 32g v-max. Great foxing combo IMO.

Posted Images

Near the buildings there is a caravan site the farmer owns so I wouldn't be firing off near there. I'd be further in the valley.

Funny you mention downhill. The farm runs down hill with walls between fields. River is at the very bottom with the woods. Hasn't stopped it being cleared for 308 though. But safety is a big factor.

I think a 223 seems like a happy medium. Does everything just a bit better than the 222.

???? why do think the 223 does it better than the .222? Obviously you have your opinion but after owning both I cannot split them and opted for the .222 everyone to their own I guess

To be honest I'm a bit surprised you said that. Looking at .222 and .223 simplistically I have always been surprised how much different they feel to shoot. Both are easy of course, but the .222 is sweet!

I settled for .223 though.

The .223 carries a hint more energy but for most real world experiences that isn't worth losing sleep over!

The difference in performance isn't worth the worry, but they feel and even sound a lot different to me, but whatever floats your boat!

:thumbs:

All the above very true Deker, I've yet to see a .223 kill a fox any better than a .222 or visa versa, like you say whatever floats your boat.

Bullitt whatever you choose .223 222 22-250 the end result will be the same for the fox, good luck with your choice :thumbs:

To be honest I'm a bit surprised you said that. Looking at .222 and .223 simplistically I have always been surprised how much different they feel to shoot. Both are easy of course, but the .222 is sweet!

I settled for .223 though.

The .223 carries a hint more energy but for most real world experiences that isn't worth losing sleep over!

The difference in performance isn't worth the worry, but they feel and even sound a lot different to me, but whatever floats your boat!

:thumbs:

All the above very true Deker, I've yet to see a .223 kill a fox any better than a .222 or visa versa, like you say whatever floats your boat.

Bullitt whatever you choose .223 222 22-250 the end result will be the same for the fox, good luck with your choice :thumbs:

You're not wrong there. Very much seems a horses for courses choice

Thanks for the input

If you need to be discreet the .22lr , I have a 22.250 that is legal for roe in Scotland and a serious target round out to 500 yds and small deer down here .

Zero at 25 yds flat out to 200 yds , 55grn heads running at 3500 fps easy to obtain all components and reload.

Bait a safe corner and lay up at your desired range .

The normal 22.250 is limited by barrel twist 1/14 so 55 grn some will go up to 69 but if you go 1/12 a bit more flexable or 1/8 twist a serious contender with match or 75 amax .

I have competed with folk using fast twist 223 but could do no better than the old 22.250 and in the end the wind at any range will have you so as had been said all these calibre will give you a warm glow , I have the old Winchester M70 and have never though to change .

So check out the cost of reloading each or price up ammo , and go an handle a few rifles .

If you've got a 308 you have deer sorted so buy a 22 centrefire for vermin .

ATB

If you need to be discreet the .22lr , I have a 22.250 that is legal for roe in Scotland and a serious target round out to 500 yds and small deer down here .

Zero at 25 yds flat out to 200 yds , 55grn heads running at 3500 fps easy to obtain all components and reload.

Bait a safe corner and lay up at your desired range .

The normal 22.250 is limited by barrel twist 1/14 so 55 grn some will go up to 69 but if you go 1/12 a bit more flexable or 1/8 twist a serious contender with match or 75 amax .

I have competed with folk using fast twist 223 but could do no better than the old 22.250 and in the end the wind at any range will have you so as had been said all these calibre will give you a warm glow , I have the old Winchester M70 and have never though to change .

So check out the cost of reloading each or price up ammo , and go an handle a few rifles .

If you've got a 308 you have deer sorted so buy a 22 centrefire for vermin .

ATB

Like I said. I don't really want to be over gunned. As much as I'd want a 22 250 I think it's a bit much for the land I have.

I won't be reloading so it's straight out the box for me. Again why the 223 appeals. I suppose I've made a big u turn.

Just to be straight. The land is cleared for 308. I don't have one.

I looking for a foxing calibre solely for this land.

I begrudge killing anything if it isn't actually causing a problem on the land or I don't eat it.

Sounds odd I know. But shoot for food or because of issues with pest. Never been one to blast something just because it's there or I can.

Thanks for the input. 22 250 would be nice but might be a tad over gunning

You can never have to much gun mate.

Best thing I've found with the .22-250 is it's so forgiving. If for instance you under estimated the range of your target the 250 is so flat out to 300 yards it doesn't matter. At night it is extremely difficult to range a fox using lamp or night vision so for me it has to be the 250 all day

Think about whether you are going to reload or not.

I use a Tikka T3 in .204 ruger with hornady superformance 32g v-max. Great foxing combo IMO.

I know some one that reloads a .204 to the max. It's flat as at 70-140yards which is spot on with night vision, takes a lot of guess work out of range finding. When they hit it sounds like a cricket bat hitting a cabbage.

I'd say see what's about and get the best deal and cheapest ammo option, all the above (except catty) will do the job, Atb Joe

Damn. The catty seem financially viable!

I'd be getting 2nd hand and that puts me off the 22-250 even more due to being labelled "barrel burners"

As far As cost of a rifle 2nd hand and ammo goes the .223 wins.

The fact that I'm only getting one out of necessity, is a big factor.

Farmer says just get rid of the big dog foxes if I see one. Doesn't want them annihilated just kept on top of. I suppose come lambing season it'll be a different story. But shelling lots for something that may not get used much doesn't make sense. Which is why I think.223. Less expensive to but on the used market and slightly cheaper ammo.

I'd stick with the .22lr but it's just not capable at the range I see em.

I use a 22-250 for fox I used hornady 55grain vmax very capable round as are all the other calibers mentioned it's up to you as you know your land a from your replies you seem grounded and sensible so I'll explain my choice. I too went through same which caliber phase my choice came after speaking to a older country gent who pointed out the same points as some already have judgment of distance with the flat flying round that carries a lot of energy at further ranges. I now reload due to costs but if as you say only getting the odd one or two every now and then I paid £22 per 20 once zeroed in you Won't go through that many. I have never had a runner with this caliber it hits where I put the crosshairs and the energy transfer from balistitc tips is amazing

I'd say see what's about and get the best deal and cheapest ammo option, all the above (except catty) will do the job, Atb Joe

I'd be getting 2nd hand and that puts me off the 22-250 even more due to being labelled "barrel burners"

Farmer says just get rid of the big dog foxes if I see one. Doesn't want them annihilated just kept on top of. I suppose come lambing season it'll be a different story. But shelling lots for something that may not get used much doesn't make sense. Which is why I think.223. Less expensive to but on the used market and slightly cheaper ammo.

If you don't want the cost of rifle and ammo, invite somebody along with an open ticket to shoot them for you, you never know you may get some shooting ect in return

• Like 1

If you don't want the cost of rifle and ammo, invite somebody along with an open ticket to shoot them for you, you never know you may get some shooting ect in return

My friends who shoot have plenty land and do invite me regularly so that's not really incentive or issue.

I use a 22-250 for fox I used hornady 55grain vmax very capable round as are all the other calibers mentioned it's up to you as you know your land a from your replies you seem grounded and sensible so I'll explain my choice. I too went through same which caliber phase my choice came after speaking to a older country gent who pointed out the same points as some already have judgment of distance with the flat flying round that carries a lot of energy at further ranges. I now reload due to costs but if as you say only getting the odd one or two every now and then I paid £22 per 20 once zeroed in you Won't go through that many. I have never had a runner with this caliber it hits where I put the crosshairs and the energy transfer from balistitc tips is amazing

My main goal is a quick dispatch in the safest possible way.

As I said before they do have a caravan site with people frequenting it so having a slightly quieter crack is ideal.

Again. I do like the idea of less dicking about with hold over/dialing in. But worry about second hand 22 250 being knackered. I really only want to spend about £600 on rifle and mod. In which .223 comes in nicely. Not seen too many 22 250 in good nick for that (as yet)