Suggestions...

My first shot gun, 12 g, was, and still is, a Winchester SX3 semi auto in black composite. I broke my shoulder in 2 places and didn't want the 'THWACK' in the shoulder from a double barrel so that's why I went for a semi, well, that and the Patrick Flanigan videos :-). I have never had any trouble with it and I'm not one for cleaning things. I do have a 410 Baikal Hushpower and that is great for shooting rats and squirrels off of and around the bird table with sub sonic carts without pissin' the Mrs offhttps://youtu.be/fCB7uEQ9W9A

• Like 1

Used over and under. Not a trap gun, a 'sporter' with 28" barrels.

At the end of the day what you can choose will depend on how much you are able to spend

A decent used OU will be in the £400-£700, a 'fancy' Berretta will be £900-£1500.

• Like 1

Stick to your budget, and get something that fits. I had an over and under that fitted perfect and in my lack of wisdom I changed it for a semi auto that shoots high. I now need at least 2 shots to hit anything, where as if I still had the over and under 1 shot would do,

What I am trying to say is, get what fits and feels right, stick with it

Cheers Luke

• Like 1

Your budget will dictate what make you can afford but given the option, an over & under with 30'' barrels. The three makes that you will simply not go wrong with are Beretta, Browning and Miroku, all well made, proven track record at clay shooting both local club and world class and will sell easily should you decide to move it on.

I strongly suggest 30'' barrels simply because they are the most popular on the clay scene, again good for resale but far more than that, they lend themselves to many different uses including all clay shooting disciplines, walked up shooting, game shooting and hide shooting for the pigeon. The ONLY time I would EVER choose a 28'' gun was as an alternative because they are that bit shorter and quicker to mount so useful at times when shooting in a hide. As said above, buy a sporter shotgun as they are designed for clay shooting but work perfectly for field use, they are also a bit heavier than a field version which will absorb recoil far better.

I use 32'' for most of my clay shooting, a Beretta DT10 and this length barrel had become very popular in various clay disciplines because once moving they are lovely to swing to the target but not ideal for a newbie in my opinion.

Someone said earlier to attend a clay shoot and talk to the guys shooting with any luck, they will give you a chance to try a gun or two OR depending where you live, to try and meet up with someone on here to let you try some guns out. I am in North Lincs so if that is near you, I am happy to take you clay shooting and try a few guns.

Don't buy some cheap crap that you will outgrow VERY quickly and not allow you to develop the skills you really want, yes a cheap gun will work and put a pattern hopefully where you need the pellets to be but in the process, gun fit is not very good and recoil on cheaper guns can be an issue. I would not go the semi auto route as many clay grounds do not like them and far more to go wrong. Clay shooting will give you the chance to let off a number of cartridges to offer sound practice and learn good gun mount along with the basics of shotgun handling.

It is a lot to take in at first, but if you let me know where you live, I will try to give you details of both a good dealer and a clay ground to get you started.

Hope that helps

Phil

• Like 1

I had a lot of fun with my single barrle,I then got a biakle o/u with was half n full choke 28" barrels , I used that for everything I used to use 28 g , 7 1/2s in full barrle and 30g 6s in half barrle when decoy pigeons