Future X Maybe

If you look at old photos of the Bedlington they looked like a lot of todays fell types and I always wonder why this cross isn't done more.

I've seen a Patterdale X Whippet first cross and it looked just like a black Whippet.

If a first cross terrier was what I wanted I'd go for the gamest type of terrier, the Patterdale.

The Jagd IMO would be a poor substitute.

Spot on... ;)

is the patterdale the gamest terrier.???

• Haha 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough as nails, top speed around 60 k.p.h. (38 m.p.h.)     Fights like a champ, runs track and bushes excellent, silent on track and on course     48.5 cm (19 inches) @ 12.25 kg (27 lbs.), w

If you look at old photos of the Bedlington they looked like a lot of todays fell types and I always wonder why this cross isn't done more. I've seen a Patterdale X Whippet first cross and it looked

No, those are three of the ten or so pictures I've taken of him in his lifetime. I take some pictures of my dogs here at home for my records but very rarely think to take my phone out while I'm out w

Posted Images

If you look at old photos of the Bedlington they looked like a lot of todays fell types and I always wonder why this cross isn't done more.

I've seen a Patterdale X Whippet first cross and it looked just like a black Whippet.

If a first cross terrier was what I wanted I'd go for the gamest type of terrier, the Patterdale.

Spot on... ;)

Dependent on the dog, yes, can be.

Spot on... ;)

i've never kept a patterdale or bred bred a litter of lurchers but i would imagine there would be alot of small pups with a whippet x pat mating.not good for much except ratting and bushing.

how big do wheatens get.?

• Haha 1

Spot on... ;)

Without getting all hung-up on a word, simply substitute game for hard and if then we are taking about terriers that work underground for this cross, then though you can find iron hard dogs of any type I'd stick my neck out and say there are probably more real hard black dogs than any other type... Plus in some lines you really can get leggy types and 'I' would put one of those to a good whippet before any German import. ;)

Spot on... ;)

Without getting all hung-up on a word, simply substitute game for hard and if then we are taking about terriers that work underground for this cross, then though you can find iron hard dogs of any type I'd stick my neck out and say there are probably more real hard black dogs than any other type... Plus in some lines you really can get leggy types and 'I' would put one of those to a good whippet before any German import. ;)

Surely the patt is the hardest terrier, Im think they where designed to kill a charlie in the ground, in the toughest earths, bedded in rock that couldn't always be dug - that takes some doing. Just like you say there are plenty of game terriers but the black ones seem to be the stickers - or maybe they one of the few that havent been ruined as pets yet :thumbs:

Spot on... ;)

i've never kept a patterdale or bred bred a litter of lurchers but i would imagine there would be alot of small pups with a whippet x pat mating.not good for much except ratting and bushing.

how big do wheatens get.?

I hear ya Ginger Beard.

Because the OP mentioned a digging dog I mentioned another type of digging terrier but ,Yes, regarding gameness in terriers the Wheaten is the road to go down.

It's not too long ago that the best coursing dogs here in Ireland (and several went over the Irish sea and made names for themselves) had Irish Terrier in them and the Irish Terrier was never anything other than a rough 'n tumble cur but for some reason they crossed very well with the greyhound and although the 1/4 Irish Terrier 3/4 Greyhound was probably not as good as the Saluki cross of today they were good coursing dogs that would take fox regularly too.

There's still lads who take their coursing serious that want a little bit of Irish terrier in their Saluki crosses. Other like a bit of Wheaten too.

• Like 2

I think a hard earth dog crossed with a whippet be going to ground or getting stuck trying to.I'd cross a whippet with something less earth minded, except for ratting.

I think a hard earth dog crossed with a whippet be going to ground or getting stuck trying to.I'd cross a whippet with something less earth minded, except for ratting.

Any cross or type who REALLY wants it's game will try damn hard to get to it and if that means going to ground then any game one will.

Bert Gripton was well known for digging a lot of foxes and badgers with a whippet cross. I've dug to a Bedlington cross lurcher and I've seen a first cross Wheaten Greyhound go to ground, check it, and walk out of the same earth, LOL.

Any hunting man will have tales of fox hounds going to ground and I heard of a man entering pure bred Beagles in a Badger trial back when legal and they traveled the shore up to their Badger.

If a dog wants to then he will.

• Like 2

33eiu6e.jpg

Tough as nails, top speed around 60 k.p.h. (38 m.p.h.)

73hwzt.jpg

Fights like a champ, runs track and bushes excellent, silent on track and on course

2wf8hed.jpg

48.5 cm (19 inches) @ 12.25 kg (27 lbs.), with big teeth, good retrieve, excellent with kids but death to critters.

This is Diesel. He's the pick male out of the litter linked earlier in this thread.

Edited by Dan McDonough
  • Like 12

33eiu6e.jpg

Tough as nails, top speed around 60 k.p.h. (38 m.p.h.)

73hwzt.jpg

Fights like a champ, runs track and bushes excellent, silent on track and on course

2wf8hed.jpg

48.5 cm (19 inches) @ 12.25 kg (27 lbs.), with big teeth, good retrieve, excellent with kids but death to critters.

This is Diesel. He's the pick male out of the litter linked earlier in this thread.

Turned out real nice Dan.are there any videos of him working?

No, those are three of the ten or so pictures I've taken of him in his lifetime. I take some pictures of my dogs here at home for my records but very rarely think to take my phone out while I'm out working them. Chalk it up to the generation I was born in. I'm not old yet but it isn't far away. I'm 47 but I feel like I'm 30. I still remember dialing phones and then feeling like my family was pretty cool when we got a push button phone with an extra long cord. ;)

• Like 3