Future X Maybe

I would rather use a terrier that is very hard for producing lurchers than a sensible type that takes hold when it can as I dont think many people would tolerate a foxing lurcher that waits till it can get a good hold hence using a hard terrier that aint fussy where he takes hold.

I doesn't sound like you've seen a smart fighting dog. They are very efficient and very fast at getting a critter dead. Much more so over the course of 10 critters than any other type. Most of my dogs are on the neck and the critter out cold by the time I get to them. Rarely do I have to go in and finish it. Those cases happen when the critter happens to be to large for the dog to finish alone, in which case I try to avoid those scenarios as much as is possible.

I'm not talking about some sort of bay dog. I'm talking about hard fighting terrier types. I had a Jagdterrier male that it took until he was 2 1/2 years old for him to get bit real good. He had been on well over 100 coon and cats by the time he was 1 1/2 years old. He and his sister were getting a lot of work. I lived on an 1100 acre hunt club and was hunting nearly every day of the year (minus stormy and high heat days). In the dogs life he only took big damage a handful of times and lived until he was nearly 16 years old. He weighed 22 lbs. and that's just below average sized coon here. Farm cats are smaller and so are our fox. But at that number of critters he should have taken more damage. He didn't because he was very good and very smart. Once you've seen a dog fight on that level there's no going back. He got hunted day after day after day and that's because he wasn't being shuttled off to the vet.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough as nails, top speed around 60 k.p.h. (38 m.p.h.)     Fights like a champ, runs track and bushes excellent, silent on track and on course     48.5 cm (19 inches) @ 12.25 kg (27 lbs.), w

If you look at old photos of the Bedlington they looked like a lot of todays fell types and I always wonder why this cross isn't done more. I've seen a Patterdale X Whippet first cross and it looked

No, those are three of the ten or so pictures I've taken of him in his lifetime. I take some pictures of my dogs here at home for my records but very rarely think to take my phone out while I'm out w

Posted Images

I thought you was talking about baying terriers mate

I thought he was talking crap.

Terriers with fighting styles, has to be a yank.

Terrier men talk about work, fools talk about fighting styles.

Terriers fight with their quarry do they not? Stop being so romantic.

Bollox, terriers work their quarry.

There's nothing romantic about wanting to keep stupid illegal remarks off the inter-net about something I wish to see stay legal.

Terrierwork is a fieldsport / method of vermin control, NOT, a fighting sport.

If you want a fighting dog get a pit bull as the working terrier world needs hunters, not wannabee dog fighters.

• Like 1

Keep letting people tell you how to talk and you'll keep loosing what few rights you have left.

Edited by Dan McDonough

Keep letting people tell you how to talk and you'll keep loosing what few rights you have left.

And you being an American should know, you's probably have the strictest hunting laws in the world.

Land of the free my ass.

So keep digging a hole for the working terrier in the States with your macho bullshit and keep comments like "fighting style" to the American forums.

Oh and by the way, working a terrier underground is illegal in some States and in all States dog fighting is a felony with the maximum sentence in some states being 20 plus years.

So don't keep telling us how great it is to hunt in the States.

I would rather use a terrier that is very hard for producing lurchers than a sensible type that takes hold when it can as I dont think many people would tolerate a foxing lurcher that waits till it can get a good hold hence using a hard terrier that aint fussy where he takes hold.

I doesn't sound like you've seen a smart fighting dog. They are very efficient and very fast at getting a critter dead. Much more so over the course of 10 critters than any other type. Most of my dogs are on the neck and the critter out cold by the time I get to them. Rarely do I have to go in and finish it. Those cases happen when the critter happens to be to large for the dog to finish alone, in which case I try to avoid those scenarios as much as is possible.

I'm not talking about some sort of bay dog. I'm talking about hard fighting terrier types. I had a Jagdterrier male that it took until he was 2 1/2 years old for him to get bit real good. He had been on well over 100 coon and cats by the time he was 1 1/2 years old. He and his sister were getting a lot of work. I lived on an 1100 acre hunt club and was hunting nearly every day of the year (minus stormy and high heat days). In the dogs life he only took big damage a handful of times and lived until he was nearly 16 years old. He weighed 22 lbs. and that's just below average sized coon here. Farm cats are smaller and so are our fox. But at that number of critters he should have taken more damage. He didn't because he was very good and very smart. Once you've seen a dog fight on that level there's no going back. He got hunted day after day after day and that's because he wasn't being shuttled off to the vet.

never read so much shit! Your jagd would come running out with his tail between his legs if he tried fighting the quarry over here. Over here they have to work it.
  • Like 2

Americans lol

And you being an American should know, you's probably have the strictest hunting laws in the world.

Land of the free my ass.

So keep digging a hole for the working terrier in the States with your macho bullshit and keep comments like "fighting style" to the American forums.

Oh and by the way, working a terrier underground is illegal in some States and in all States dog fighting is a felony with the maximum sentence in some states being 20 plus years.

So don't keep telling us how great it is to hunt in the States.

With 50 to choose from, I'd say anyone that wishes to hunt terriers is pretty safe. Who is talking about dog fighting. As I am aware, dog fighting refers to dog vs. dog. I am not talking about dog fighting.

never read so much shit! Your jagd would come running out with his tail between his legs if he tried fighting the quarry over here. Over here they have to work it.

What in the hell do you think you have over there that is so tuff, certainly nothing to compare to a bear or coyote. Fox and badger, which we have plenty of both. I've never had a good jagdterier that put his tail between it's legs for anything and I've owned around 40 of them over the last twenty years. Bear speaks for itself. Coyotes are typically between 25 and 45 lbs. and are tough as hell. Bobcats here are the same size. All three will kill a terrier if it's not good enough and many times all three will not wait for the terrier to start the fight. If the animal attacks first, you've done nothing wrong.

Were I live, we have bear, bobcats, coyotes, and everything else you have and plenty of them.

What in the hell do you think you have over there that is so tuff, certainly nothing to compare to a bear or coyote. Fox and badger, which we have plenty of both. I've never had a good jagdterier that put his tail between it's legs for anything and I've owned around 40 of them over the last twenty years. Bear speaks for itself. Coyotes are typically between 25 and 45 lbs. and are tough as hell. Bobcats here are the same size. All three will kill a terrier if it's not good enough and many times all three will not wait for the terrier to start the fight. If the animal attacks first, you've done nothing wrong.

Were I live, we have bear, bobcats, coyotes, and everything else you have and plenty of them.

from what your saying your not working your terriers to ground. Your just letting your dogs bale into stuff on top. No wonder youve never had a failure. Bears ffs thats not terrier work.
  • Like 1

Americans lol

That's a funny thing to say for someone that lives in a country that wouldn't even exist, if it weren't for Americans you'd be speaking German right now...so there's that.
you tried to avoid getting involved till the war was at its end. How did Vietnam go?
  • Like 1