Help With Pup Hanging Onto Lead On Walks

Ye she will come good in the end just young and keen she should grow out of it hopefully all the best with her atb longers01

She loves balls but I cant find one thats hard to destroy so at the min its costing me a fortune buying new ones :laugh: ... at least it tires her a wee bit & takes off the edge of her drive , she wont be the sort of dog who can run free with other dogs she is to full on , so I rather not risk her drive take over & end up hurting a smaller dog .

I know she is switched on by my henry vaccume when i reel the cable in so I am going to get a cable reel from work & see if i cant rig up a handle on it to wind in a washing line with a bit of rag on the end like a heath robbinson lure , it will give her & me something new to do for a while

I know it a full time job with a dog like this but enjoyable :laugh:

Kay, my staff makes very short work of balls as well. He will kill a full size football in about 3-5 seconds, so I bought him 2 hard basketballs (which are bigger than a football) and they were both popped within 3 minutes. The cheapo tennis balls are a waste of time and the expensive ones just marginally better. I didn't bother with the Indestructable Kong with this dog as my last dog destroyed one in about 15 minutes. Those large hard rubber ones which smell like cream soda/vanilla also get chewed up, and almost killed my last dog when he swallowed a large piece and spent almost a week trying to pass it and he couldn't keep any food down. Vet couldn't find anything, but he was fcuking useless anyway.

Earlier this year my mate and his wife visited and bought a ball with them which he had found and cleaned up. See photo...

I believe it is an indoor cricket ball/windball. So far it seems perfect up until now, with only a few tooth marks.

post-84277-0-45643900-1507979755_thumb.jpg

Ye she will come good in the end just young and keen she should grow out of it hopefully all the best with her atb longers01

She loves balls but I cant find one thats hard to destroy so at the min its costing me a fortune buying new ones :laugh: ... at least it tires her a wee bit & takes off the edge of her drive , she wont be the sort of dog who can run free with other dogs she is to full on , so I rather not risk her drive take over & end up hurting a smaller dog .

I know she is switched on by my henry vaccume when i reel the cable in so I am going to get a cable reel from work & see if i cant rig up a handle on it to wind in a washing line with a bit of rag on the end like a heath robbinson lure , it will give her & me something new to do for a while

I know it a full time job with a dog like this but enjoyable :laugh:

Kay, my staff makes very short work of balls as well. He will kill a full size football in about 3-5 seconds, so I bought him 2 hard basketballs (which are bigger than a football) and they were both popped within 3 minutes. The cheapo tennis balls are a waste of time and the expensive ones just marginally better. I didn't bother with the Indestructable Kong with this dog as my last dog destroyed one in about 15 minutes. Those large hard rubber ones which smell like cream soda/vanilla also get chewed up, and almost killed my last dog when he swallowed a large piece and spent almost a week trying to pass it and he couldn't keep any food down. Vet couldn't find anything, but he was fcuking useless anyway.

Earlier this year my mate and his wife visited and bought a ball with them which he had found and cleaned up. See photo...

I believe it is an indoor cricket ball/windball. So far it seems perfect up until now, with only a few tooth marks.

attachicon.gifball1.JPG

Pretty much all her toys last a week at the very most ... I chuck the empty milk cartens for her now on the yard & bin them when she has killed it, &n she is a bugger for cardboard so she has any boxes I have to rip up ... makes my life easier as i can get them in the bin without cutting them up .

I will hjave a look for one of them balls they look quite robust :thumbs:

Deffinatley agree with mister gain on the ball situation . I got a Staff that will destroy any balls he sees but got a windball which kids play cricket with and it's still going. They can put there teeth into it but it doesn't burst. Sports direct sell then for about a fiver I think

my pup did it from day 1 but to be honest i didnt mind it that much 'cos it stopped her from just lying down and not wanting to walk on the lead. shes 20 weeks now and as others have said shell grow out of it. she rarely does it now, mostly when its tight or if we are on a road for a while and she gets bored

Now then kay hows the pup coming along has she started to chill out a bit atb longers01

As it happens I seem to have turned a corner with her, 3 weeks ago I was tearing my hair out , she was ignoring any comands that she previously would obey.... so I whacked her arse with one of them ball launchers because nowt else would work. I only had to do it once .

I think the issue was me & her having no respect or boundrys that I set her , the other thing thats changed is I now shut the back door as its stopped her taking off with stuff out the house like cushions off the sofa & taking them up the garden . she was jumping up at my face as well & that was the last straw for me as I need to have control of her

Now she is restricted & goes on the yard to play tug & have a wee & then its back in the house untill its walk time she has realised I can get stuff off her if she is crafty & dont have to race round the garden after her so she isnt trying it on as much .

She behaves for my bloke so I knew it was me that she was playing up for & she can be a calm dog & not hyped up , basically I want her to be a dog but with manners , since I toughened up on her she is back to sitting & waiting etc , so its a vast improvement on how she was :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For those of you using tennis balls and small balls of similar size......consider the damage young speedy dogs can do to their necks and joints when chasing and striking such a small target at the speed lurcher pups  can reach.  Google HOLEE BALLS - you can get them in all sizes - I use the biggest I can find - near 10-12 inches across - makes a much softer and safer target for young necks and joints while training/exercising young pups.

31 minutes ago, littlefish said:

For those of you using tennis balls and small balls of similar size......consider the damage young speedy dogs can do to their necks and joints when chasing and striking such a small target at the speed lurcher pups  can reach.  Google HOLEE BALLS - you can get them in all sizes - I use the biggest I can find - near 10-12 inches across - makes a much softer and safer target for young necks and joints while training/exercising young pups.

?????????

• 4 weeks later...
On 14/10/2017 at 12:16, Mister Gain said:

post-84277-0-45643900-1507979755_thumb.jpg

Boomer Balls if you want a football sized ball and field hockey balls if you want a smaller ball to play fetch with, they last forever with even the most destructive dogs :thumbs:

Nothing wrong with a surprise smack on the arse. I've a whippet here 10 years old. When I brought her home at 6 weeks she was bloody feral. She used to growl if you picked her up. Completely ignored you except at meal times. Didn't like to be stroked and didn't react to changes in voice tone or even follow you off the lead. One day she stopped at some putrid garbage and ignored me when I growled at her to leave it. I scruffed her and bollocked her. Literally from that moment on she was a changed dog and began to realise I meant business. She was 4 months old then.I have never had to fall out with her since. She is desperate to please. Totally in tune and follows me like a shadow. I just wish my son would slap his kids' arses mow and again. They would be a lot better off for it.:fool:

• Like 1