Help With Pup Hanging Onto Lead On Walks

i am having a few issues with this pup whilst she is on the lead, she will sporadically twist her head round & grab the lead, I keep her on a tight lead to minimise her attempts at doing this .

Has anyone had this issue & how did you deal with it ... so far I have tried walking into her so there is no tension on the lead she understands the ''drop it'' command & responds 99% of the time , I know she is just going through a brattish stage she is nearly 6 months

Mouthy pups are often highly driven. They need to grab on to something when they get all pent up inside. Keeping dog on tight lead increases their tension: they pull, you pull. They grab, you are doing the same. Also, by holding the pup on a tight, short lead, you are giving her more to react to. Are you walking fast enough? Slow walking is a nightmare for any young, active dog that wants to run.

Trotting, fast, is a good speed for a dog. Failing that: give her something to hold. Favourite toy: tug toy? Direct her attention and energy on to something she is allowed to bite and hold.

• Like 4

Mouthy pups are often highly driven. They need to grab on to something when they get all pent up inside. Keeping dog on tight lead increases their tension: they pull, you pull. They grab, you are doing the same. Also, by holding the pup on a tight, short lead, you are giving her more to react to. Are you walking fast enough? Slow walking is a nightmare for any young, active dog that wants to run.

Trotting, fast, is a good speed for a dog. Failing that: give her something to hold. Favourite toy: tug toy? Direct her attention and energy on to something she is allowed to bite and hold.

Thanks for this Penny it does seem to fit her to a tee, she is very driven , I will try what you suggested & see how we go with it :thumbs:

Hang a bit item where she can get it on the lead , let her carry it around in her mouth ,

A bite/ tug item can become a grounding to the biting action shes showing , eventually shell just ignore it

I think I have cracked it , I got a chain couple about 10 inches long & attach one to the collar & the other one I clip a rope puller toy so it dangles by her shoulder , so far she hasn't tugged the lead & also 20mins off lead running after tennis balls until she is panting has made a huge difference to her overall in house behaviour

I am finally getting into her head & slowly meeting her vast energetic needs :toast:

Mine was the same kay part way through a walk he would just go nuts for no reason and start pulling like mad on the lead and to be honest you couldn't do much with him. Like said use a chain or just give some thing else to hang onto but to be honest mine grew out of it as well. They settle down when they are about 4 :laugh:

Mine was the same kay part way through a walk he would just go nuts for no reason and start pulling like mad on the lead and to be honest you couldn't do much with him. Like said use a chain or just give some thing else to hang onto but to be honest mine grew out of it as well. They settle down when they are about 4 :laugh:

They aint wired up right are they :laugh: had yours used to do the body slam from 4 foot in the air & then the death roll :laugh: & just lay there like they are on another planet for about 10 seconds then get up ... shake herself off & walk as normal .

.Her latest annoying behaviour is trying to pull my socks off my feet , :laugh:

• Like 1

Loverly looking dog that kay hope she comes right with the the lead pulling only young so plenty of time for her yet atb longers01

Basically she is a lovely dog,a bit feisty & head strong ,she is still young though & as you say plenty of time to work with her , she will come good in the end :thumbs:

Ye she will come good in the end just young and keen she should grow out of it hopefully all the best with her atb longers01

She loves balls but I cant find one thats hard to destroy so at the min its costing me a fortune buying new ones :laugh: ... at least it tires her a wee bit & takes off the edge of her drive , she wont be the sort of dog who can run free with other dogs she is to full on , so I rather not risk her drive take over & end up hurting a smaller dog .

I know she is switched on by my henry vaccume when i reel the cable in so I am going to get a cable reel from work & see if i cant rig up a handle on it to wind in a washing line with a bit of rag on the end like a heath robbinson lure , it will give her & me something new to do for a while

I know it a full time job with a dog like this but enjoyable :laugh: