• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kay

Kay

Wishing Her Photos Were Fuzzy

• Donator
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:28 am

i am having a few issues with this pup whilst she is on the lead, she will sporadically twist her head round & grab the lead, I keep her on a tight lead to minimise her attempts at doing this .

Has anyone had this issue & how did you deal with it ... so far I have tried walking into her so there is no tension on the lead she understands the ''drop it'' command & responds 99% of the time , I know she is just going through a brattish stage she is nearly 6 months 

#2 socks

socks

Extreme Ferret Wrangler

• Donator
  • 14,658 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:02 am

Use a chain lead Kay she won't bite that .....

#3 skycat

skycat

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 7,808 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:42 pm

Mouthy pups are often highly driven. They need to grab on to something when they get all pent up inside. Keeping dog on tight lead increases their tension: they pull, you pull. They grab, you are doing the same. Also, by holding the pup on a tight, short lead, you are giving her more to react to. Are you walking fast enough? Slow walking is a nightmare for any young, active dog that wants to run.

Trotting, fast, is a good speed for a dog. Failing that: give her something to hold. Favourite toy: tug toy? Direct her attention and energy on to something she is allowed to bite and hold.

• beast, Mr Wilkes and W. Katchum like this

#4 Kay

Kay

• Donator
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:52 pm

Mouthy pups are often highly driven. They need to grab on to something when they get all pent up inside. Keeping dog on tight lead increases their tension: they pull, you pull. They grab, you are doing the same. Also, by holding the pup on a tight, short lead, you are giving her more to react to. Are you walking fast enough? Slow walking is a nightmare for any young, active dog that wants to run.

Trotting, fast, is a good speed for a dog. Failing that: give her something to hold. Favourite toy: tug toy? Direct her attention and energy on to something she is allowed to bite and hold. 

Thanks for this Penny it does seem to fit her to a tee, she is very driven , I will try what you suggested & see how we go with it   :thumbs:

#5 Kay

Kay

• Donator
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:53 pm

I never thought of that , will get one & give that a try thanks  :thumbs:

#6 Casso

Casso

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:58 pm

Hang a bit item where she can get it on the lead , let her carry it around in her mouth ,

A bite/ tug item can become a grounding to the biting action shes showing , eventually shell just ignore it

#7 will

will

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:29 am

this is what I did with a dog I had & it worked really quickly

#8 Kay

Kay

• Donator
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:27 pm

I think I have cracked it , I got a chain couple about 10 inches long & attach one to the collar & the other one I clip a rope puller toy so it dangles by her shoulder , so far she hasn't tugged the lead & also 20mins off lead running after tennis balls until she is panting has made a huge difference to her overall in house behaviour 

I am finally getting into her head & slowly meeting her vast energetic needs  :toast:

#9 Joe777

Joe777

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:38 pm

The problem is they get fitter and require more to knacker them out haha, glad you sorted it, Atb Joe

#10 Kay

Kay

• Donator
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:19 pm

The problem is they get fitter and require more to knacker them out haha, glad you sorted it, Atb Joe

I thought that may be the case...  :laugh:

#11 longers01

longers01

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:29 pm

Loverly looking dog that kay hope she comes right with the the lead pulling only young so plenty of time for her yet atb longers01

#12 terryd

terryd

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:30 pm

Mine was the same kay part way through a walk he would just go nuts for no reason and start pulling like mad on the lead and to be honest you couldn't do much with him. Like said use a chain or just give some thing else to hang onto but to be honest mine grew out of it as well. They settle down when they are about 4  :laugh:

#13 Kay

Kay

• Donator
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:47 pm

Mine was the same kay part way through a walk he would just go nuts for no reason and start pulling like mad on the lead and to be honest you couldn't do much with him. Like said use a chain or just give some thing else to hang onto but to be honest mine grew out of it as well. They settle down when they are about 4  :laugh:

They aint wired up right  are they  :laugh: had yours used to do the body slam from 4 foot in the air & then the death roll  :laugh: & just lay there like they are on another planet for about 10 seconds then get up ... shake herself off & walk as normal .

.Her latest annoying behaviour is trying to pull my socks off my feet , :laugh:

• terryd likes this

#14 Kay

Kay

• Donator
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:50 pm

Loverly looking dog that kay hope she comes right with the the lead pulling only young so plenty of time for her yet atb longers01

Basically she is a lovely dog,a bit feisty & head strong ,she is still young though & as you say plenty of time to work with her , she will come good in the end  :thumbs:

#15 longers01

longers01

Born Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:47 pm

Ye she will come good in the end just young and keen she should grow out of it hopefully all the best with her atb longers01

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users