Would You Or Wouldn’T You

When I was keeping terriers the line I had (not bred by me) would regularly kill rats at that age ... come to think of it ferrets and kittens were fair game to if they could get at them ........

• Like 2

I've had them kill them at 12 weeks old, that's waaaaay back in the day when I was reading Brian Plummer books books lol

These days I let a pup mature a little bit more and at least get it's second teeth !

Edited by dillydog
  • Like 4

it would depend on the pup for me. a big strong forward pup i probably would allow it a crack at that age. :yes: i did it with max. i suppose you have to be able to gauge your wards and enter them when your confident it wont set them back. most of my pups where held back till they have the equiptment. around 6 months and some a little older

post-100217-0-10456300-1506973405_thumb.jpg

Max 14 weeks with a young rat.

• Like 1

My young bitch what's 2 and a bit now was the most forward pup I've seen straight in when older dogs made a catch it's first solo catch was a squirrel at 3 and a 1/2 months two two bites still didn't let it go still won't let go now until whatever in it's mouth stops moving

• Like 1

I've had terriers kill rats at that age but i wasn't something i was intentionaly trying to do.

As with that little clip, well thats a lot of money to take a gamble on...

Seen my first terrier of this type in Bakewell the other Sunday. Nice thing, youngster that had seen a bit. Bloke an his Mrs that owned it were a bit anxious at first, as i recognised the type and got a bit closer. Thankfully i also recognised it was sporting a SS collar and on mentioning that, the blokes shoulders dropped about 4 inches...! :)

Probably a bit contentious here, but I think anyone that deliberately sets out to hunt rats with a 16 week old pup is a f***ing clown, simple. Don't care what reason/excuse they come out with

Not even if Brian Plummer did it ?

• Like 6

Probably a bit contentious here, but I think anyone that deliberately sets out to hunt rats with a 16 week old pup is a f***ing clown, simple. Don't care what reason/excuse they come out with

Pmsl.

I think him and his writings are responsible for the majority of people trying to start their dogs far too early,... and, like I said, anyone that starts their pups on rats deliberately at 16 weeks is a clown, simple

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1