Pups First 1

Went out last night with my 8 month old first cross wheaten greyhound pup, wasn't a good night for it at all. Light as day along with no wind whatsoever. About an hour into our trip and we finally came across a rabbit suitable for a slip, I walked him down to it til he saw it and then slipped him, this was his very 1st slip on anything. He went down the beam to it well and put a bend into the rabbit and kept it in the field, he then got close enough to strike and and did so but he went head over tail. He got straight back to his feet, the rabbit was still in the beam, he pulled straight to it and put in another strike and picked it up on the run like a seasoned pro. I kept the lamp on til I knew he had a good grip then turned it off gave him a little whistle and called his name just as I have when training him with sticks and balls and he brought it straight back to me and it was still very much alive and kicking. I grabbed its back legs and told the dog dead, same as the training and he let go in an instant. I couldn't be more happier with the dog, he is coming on leaps and bounds and I can see that with each time we are out whether that be out, out, or just for a walk with sticks and balls.

• Like 6

Great start lance credit too you for your work and now the dog has started right it will hopefully continue :thumbs:

Sounds like the pup did very well mate credit to your training too. Nice to see your training paying off U see many a folk just try and train them as they hunt and it can sting them in the ass

very true mine tried to shag the first rabbit he caught he got tad over excited and not much has changed :laugh:

Edited by terryd
  • Like 3

Well done, very satisfying when the training pays off. Hope you have a good season.

Thanks Bob, me to. Been out the game for about 10 years and this is my first 1 back, I'm enjoying it again now. Happy hunting.

well done the pup, sent you a pm .

Great start lance credit too you for your work and now the dog has started right it will hopefully continue :thumbs:

Sounds like the pup did very well mate credit to your training too. Nice to see your training paying off U see many a folk just try and train them as they hunt and it can sting them in the ass

very true mine tried to shag the first rabbit he caught he got tad over excited and not much has changed :laugh:

Thanks terryd, its all about the training if u want a good dog in my opinion.

• Like 1