Did This Happen To Anyone

Was out lamping wednesday night, when the strangest thing happened, lamped a few rabs, so headed down field with my 12month old lurcher, anyway slipped the dog, coursed the rab an caught it.

Well this rabbit squealed for about 15 secs, when out of the blue i spotted a fox coming flying towards me, i mean tearing up the field, my mate had spotted it coming towards me an had slipped my bitch down, by this time the fox was sitting about thirty foot away.

My bitch flew past me an after two turns the fox was despatched.

This is the first time iv seen this, has anyone else seen it?

Not seen this but if he was wondering by and heard it he would have thought that it was a easy meal. I've been squeaking before and had 3 foxes in the same field all coming from different directions. They are opportunists so easy meal is right up there street

Salmoon pardon me if im wrong, but didnt you post pics for me bout four years ago on here about 28 foot dig?

When i first scanned the field i never seen him, itwas full of sheep mate, maybe he was lurking between them, just lucky the way it happened.

My bitch caught one about ten mins before in same area, so we headed home then happy.

Pretty common Francie, killed a rabbit and a fox from one slip before. Lol.

I've seen it a lot too. If the foxes in your area aren't lamped much they'll sometimes follow you around all night. This time of year there're a lot of young inexperienced foxes around too. I see a lot more killed on the roads at the moment.

Now is the best time to start a young dog lamping, both foxes and rabbits. :thumbs:

Edited by Maximus Ferret

When lamping rabbits a few will cry out.allways have a flick of the lamp behind you.theres a good chance you will pick up his eyes.

I used to go out with my mate shooting Fox's on rough ground and nearly allways would find the fox amongst the sheep.maybe they felt safe amongst them I don't know.

But the sheep were not concerned at all that he was a few feet from them.they seemed to ignore his presence.

So allways flick the lamp between the flock if you are after old foxy.

Salmoon pardon me if im wrong, but didnt you post pics for me bout four years ago on here about 28 foot dig?

When i first scanned the field i never seen him, itwas full of sheep mate, maybe he was lurking between them, just lucky the way it happened.

My bitch caught one about ten mins before in same area, so we headed home then happy.

Not me bud wasn't on here 4 years ago sorry

Could be used to people shooting rabbits at night and wating for an easy meal.My mate was shooting roos for a job in far west nsw and every time a roo was shot there would be up to a dozen foxes sitting waiting to clean up as he was gutting.They associated the spotlight with a meal and were rarely targeted in that area.

I know beddie x grey that got his last fox on his owners drive way a month after his 15th birthday. Fox was trying to get into a bin bag, owner opened the door, dog ran out and boom – one dead stupid fox. Owner didn’t think that his old dog would actually get it but fox apparently didn’t move. It didn’t fear humans or understand dogs. To be fair I think the old dog had had a lot of fox action in its youth, so it knew what to do, but it was an old arthritic hound.

I know beddie x grey that got his last fox on his owners drive way a month after his 15th birthday. Fox was trying to get into a bin bag, owner opened the door, dog ran out and boom one dead stupid fox. Owner didnt think that his old dog would actually get it but fox apparently didnt move. It didnt fear humans or understand dogs. To be fair I think the old dog had had a lot of fox action in its youth, so it knew what to do, but it was an old arthritic hound.

Great wee story pal, thanks for sharing.

There was a certain place I used to shoot monthly and anfox would run out and grab a rabbit if we shot it close to a hedge ... he did it for about 4 consecutive months until he tried his luck running a little to far out of the cover lol .....