Nail Length.

I'd also add that i've owned a couple of serious climbers, one of which had a couple of efforts out in serious rock piles. Now the old boys i was out with back then worked them rocks weekly and i never heard nails ever mentioned in a rock dog. A dogs desire to 'get' and an agile body will be the defining factors and i doubt nail length plays any part. If a dog wants to turn its toes in, to grip and force then it will do and good strong short nails will do that job right enough.

Those nails come with sound husbandry, excercise and graft, all natural and nothing will tell me different...

working the rock keeps the nails down to down sometimes seen terriers with little left of there nails after working in the rock
  • Like 2

I'd also add that i've owned a couple of serious climbers, one of which had a couple of efforts out in serious rock piles. Now the old boys i was out with back then worked them rocks weekly and i never heard nails ever mentioned in a rock dog. A dogs desire to 'get' and an agile body will be the defining factors and i doubt nail length plays any part. If a dog wants to turn its toes in, to grip and force then it will do and good strong short nails will do that job right enough.

Those nails come with sound husbandry, excercise and graft, all natural and nothing will tell me different...

working the rock keeps the nails down to down sometimes seen terriers with little left of there nails after working in the rock

Dead right Tank and a dog with well used strong nails will fair better than one with excessively long brittle ones.

I like to keep mine short and trimmed but i find loose change on a kitchen worktop a bugger to pick up

And it makes for a smoother wank.

I grow mine for this reason, nail varnish is a hard one to explain away though.

• Like 1

A question i dont understand, in terriers or lurchers...

To me nail length is subject to excercise and graft and almost NEVER be an issue.

Only nails i've ever had to work on were those of elderly, lame, or infirmed dogs. Other than that, get the feckers out the kennels more an nails sort their own shit out....

I agree to an extent but some dogs nails do need sorting out no matter what exercise they get. I have a little terrier here who gets the same exercise as the other 3, in fact she covers far more ground than 2 of the others but her nail position means they never get worn. Before her I had never had to trim a nail on a dog as they took care of themselves, so it's not quiet as straightforward as exercise on some mutts atb

Edited by matt1979

Even thought trimming a dog's nails is a simple procedure, providing that the animal is calm and accommodating, extreme care should still be taken. Most particularly with dark pigmentation when the quick may not be easily determined. A simple procedure done the wrong way would cause serious pain and injury. Err on the side of caution if you're not 100% sure how far to take them back.

The need to trim could well be a result of a badly constructed foot rather than lack of exercise or the terrain that it walked on. A splayed "hare" foot. Used to be common in the old ugly Queen Anne legged Russell types and I've seen a few Bedlingtons with same kind of foot.